Well I'm Clearly Not Qualified To Buy A Boat...

Drop Bear

So if anyone saw my rubbish purchase and upgrade and now removal of decks from my last savage 14 footer you would know "I know nothing ... John Snow..."

So if it is ok I would love to get some opinion or even fact on what I should get.

I live in Wynnum. I like to fish for;

Lure and sometimes bait fish for Squid/snapper at green island which is 15 mins from the ramp

Dropping pots in mangroves around straddie and in creeks etc. in Wooli 

Beacon bashing for spotties

Lure casting around rock walls and Mud island etc.

I'd like to be able to beach launch from Adder rock on Straddie and fish the group both trolling large diving lures for Spanish and casting larger lures around the sloppy water. So need a pit of power to get out.

I don't require a flash boat and like the robustness and lightness of a tinny. I dont want it to big but big enough to get to the group from Wynnum creek.

For some reason a center console is what I think I want. I dont want to have a roof that I have to cast around and dont need a half cab.

perhaps a small roof over the helm? Put some pots on that?

SSSSooooooo what size make sides motor should I really be looking for?

Oh budget. Um.... considering my last boat cost $2,300 and was a flop I suppose I can spend a bit more like $10k for a second had boat?

Thanks

I'm not an expert Rob but reckon around 16ft wouldn't be a bad compromise. Something to bear in mind regarding going to the Group from Wynnum Ck is how much fuel you'll need and therefore what fuel tank/s you'll need (underfloor, smaller ones above deck). In an ideal world I'd be trying to get a plate boat.

I know Matt at John Crawford Marine and he'd give you some good advice. Probably a good idea to cast your eye over some boats to get a feel for how much room there is to move in them, layout, storage, depth of sides, etc.

Good luck - I'm sort of in the same boat (pardon the pun) but probably looking at more around 18ft as I'll have two sons coming with me in years to come.

Don't feel bad Robbie, I bought my boat thinking it was the ducks nuts. I spent the next three or so years, fixing everything I could on it as I was constantly returning from the ramp with something broken. Eventually it has come good and I'm content, but the time, money and effort is still very much in favour of the boat. It's all one big learning curve.

I'll keep my eye out, but I'm sure you can find something within those parameters and budget.

Have a look at the smartwave 4.8, they are a polly NZ boat, lighter then our Pollycraft, so better in creeks, and don't need as much donk to get them going. Plenty of size and room for what you would want. You might also get one for around your price range.

They are very popular with the pros around Darwin for how they handle the slop, so pretty ideal for fishing the bay.

If I ever get a boat it will be the Smartwave 4.2 or 4.8 depending on how much space I have to store it in.

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I'm not an expert Rob but reckon around 16ft wouldn't be a bad compromise. Something to bear in mind regarding going to the Group from Wynnum Ck is how much fuel you'll need and therefore what fuel tank/s you'll need (underfloor, smaller ones above deck). In an ideal world I'd be trying to get a plate boat.

I know Matt at John Crawford Marine and he'd give you some good advice.

yep I was trying to avoid going to 16 but feel i might need to. Thanks I will drop it and chat to Matt. :)

39 minutes ago, samsteele115 said:

Polycrafts are the wettest boat you'll ever ride in haha. I wonder how much better the Smartwaves would be, havent heard much about them

hired the polycraft from bribie boat hire. we got absolutely soaked! it didn't ride all that well with 3 people in it...i think the motor was restricted though...plus the prop was really small

1 hour ago, samsteele115 said:

Polycrafts are the wettest boat you'll ever ride in haha. I wonder how much better the Smartwaves would be, havent heard much about them

My Dad spent a week up at Airlie two Christmases ago with friends who had a Polycraft Warrior. He claimed the same thing, that the deadrise hits the chop, it goes straight up in the air and you drive straight through it. Wettest boat he's ever been in he said.

However if you want first hand experience Robbie, you should hit up Sam from PNG, he has a Polycraft Brumby and I'm sure he'd take you out.

+ 1 for talking to John Crawford marine.Being a used only dealer you will get an unbiased opinion that you will not get from a dealership who are only interested in selling their own product and naturally they will bag the opposition. One of Bindersmates had a poly and only thing he did not like was that he purchased the mininium recommended hp motor.

Terrova has a poly so be interesting on his opinion.

Gettin wet is only a minor issue the major thing to look for is seaworthyness. A dry ride is nothing if the thing broaches.and flips on the bar.

Cheers

Ray

Archived