Targeting Flathead

JCROBBER

Pretty sure you will find Flathead on any of the flats around the peninsula but you find them at Clontarf most of the time. Try soft plastics (curly tails or paddle tails are easy for beginners) around the bottom of the tide. You will neeed to wade so have a shoulder bag or similar to keep your gear and the fish in.   Good luck. 

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Pretty sure you will find Flathead on any of the flats around the peninsula but you find them at Clontarf most of the time. Try soft plastics (curly tails or paddle tails are easy for beginners) around the bottom of the tide. You will neeed to wade so have a shoulder bag or similar to keep your gear and the fish in.   Good luck. 

What size I've got some soft plastics but they are large 7cm 9cm and 15cm or I've got small squidgies 

Any of those should work. I like 4 inch (10cm) but have caught them on all sorts of sizes. They are not that fussy and if they are hungry they will grab anything that comes past them. Live winter whiting are a top bait and some of those are well over 15cm, so just try a few different sizes and colours until you work out what is best on the day. Check out YouTube for some videos on the right action for your plastic. Don't go too fast, they like a good pause between lifts.

Looking forward to the report.

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Any of those should work. I like 4 inch (10cm) but have caught them on all sorts of sizes. They are not that fussy and if they are hungry they will grab anything that comes past them. Live winter whiting are a top bait and some of those are well over 15cm, so just try a few different sizes and colours until you work out what is best on the day. Check out YouTube for some videos on the right action for your plastic. Don't go too fast, they like a good pause between lifts.

Looking forward to the report.

Got this stuff called Sfactor it's a tube of  fish attractant would it make a difference

and thanks for the advice so far 

As Dino mentioned, the mouth of Cabbage Tree creek should always hold flathead on low tide. I've always prefered the green beacon east of Baxters jetty as my go to spot. Some days you'll cast all day, but they're there, just persist.

A high tide option is down at Brighton Park just opposite the Houghton highway bridge. There is a little drain at the back of the park that drains into the Pine River. Flathead love to sit right up close to the mouth and wait for the tide to run out. Otherwise the sandbag groynes on the other side, near Decker Park, on high tide should also hold flathead.

From my experience Zman grubs with the lightest jig head you can get away with should usually work. As for technique let it sink to the bottom and give it a few hops and twitches on the slow retrieval. Try to target dropoffs and bank sloped as flathead are predatory and will sit and wait for a fish to swim over it. Good luck. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2017 at 1:31 AM, JCROBBER said:

Got nothing but my brother caught a 69cm flathead and a few bream and one bigeyed perch

Sorry you missed out. Im sure you will catch soon. its all a mater of persistance. And when they are on and you are there you will remember that session forever!

Archived