Lecy Motor,,,,,,

Angry51

Hi all.

Tossing up about putting a min kota on the front, be good for picking up 

pots, getting into snags.

What I need to know is there a formula for working out what length

shaft to suit a particular size boat as in how high boat sits out of the water.

Boat is 3.8 Seajay.

Got a electric that bolts on the back, but dont use it, was on another boat we had.

Just with a remote/spot lock it would make it so much easier.

Getting older.:2_grimacing:

Any help would be good.

Gary.

45 minutes ago, Cmaltby said:

Haswing make a spot lock for $800 id check it out 

Thanks Cmaltby,  Have just got on to Minn Kota dealer in Townsville, waiting

for an answer.

Looking for remote controlled as I always get in the s&&t when the finance manager is

pulling up the pots.

We have an agreement-- I stay away from the front bit and she stays away from the back bit.

You know the saying-- Happy wife- Happy life.:worship:

Thanks for your info.

Gary

Tybo You just have to make a mount and mount it backwards.binder runs a 80 lb watersnake as a stern mount on his tinny you just have to get used to the steerinjg being in reverse. Anyone interested in a haswing i would advise to get in contact with mate Daz at fishing fix.com. 0402413709, Great pricing ,good service,he is experienced in repairing all brands of leccys and is BNE service agent for haswing and watersnake and minnkota trained.Worth a phone call just for advice.

Cheers

Ray

18 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Tybo You just have to make a mount and mount it backwards.binder runs a 80 lb watersnake as a stern mount on his tinny you just have to get used to the steerinjg being in reverse. Anyone interested in a haswing i would advise to get in contact with mate Daz at fishing fix.com. 0402413709, Great pricing ,good service,he is experienced in repairing all brands of leccys and is BNE service agent for haswing and watersnake and minnkota trained.Worth a phone call just for advice.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks Ray, trouble is I don't really have anywhere at the stern to mount it either. I'm sure I could bastardize something up, but no doubt it would look pretty horrendous and probably hinder me more than it would help. I think my only option would be to put on one of those adjustable auxillary transom things, hence a transom mount EM would work easily.

To be honest, I'm only dreaming. An EM with spot lock would be nice for holding over spots I find on the sounder, and the quietness would be ideal for creeping up into the shallows around Mud and Redcliffe. But I guess I'll just have to do with out and adapt. Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Binder said:

From memory 12 volt bowmounts pretty much only come in two lengths here, (usual lack of range compared to overseas) no one buys the short ones which I think are 48", the longer ones are 54"

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Support/FAQs/FAQ-Details/What-about-shaft-length-selection-/

Thanks Binder. That's exactly what I was looking for.:flowers:

Asked the dealer and they didnt tell me that.

Be good.

Gary

1 hour ago, rayke1938 said:

Ulterra has a 72 inch available if you have the dosh.

Cheers

ray

Thanks Ray, On to either 2nd hand one from a marine mechanic who has upgraded or can get a new 54inch

from the same dealer.

Just waiting for details on the 2nd, age work etc.

Prices look alright but have to get mount welded on boat.

Will keep you posted with pics.

Thanks

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

The secondhand one only works in conjunction with a Hummingbird sounder so it wasn't any good to me.

Have ordered and paid for a new Motorguide Xi5 with spot lock, should be here in a fortnight.:D

In the meantime I have to get a bow mount welded on, so will clean all the goodies out of boat and get ready to take to

the fabricator in Townsville as soon as motor turns up.:2_grimacing:

Will post some pic's when she's fitted.:ausflag:

Gary

• 1 month later...

Hi all, Well finally got my motor &mount done. Just took from the 20th March till last Friday.

Would'nt want to be in a hurry. Took a full day to get carpet off the front,was stuck on with some sort of poly glue

Had to grind most of it off, nothing would disolve it. Did the battery wiring myself, turned out reasonable.

Also put wobble rollers on trailer to feed boat on when loading it where there's no ramp. Some places we go don't have ramps, just snig the boat up the mud.

Bit pic heavy.

Cheers

Gary.

P1010241.JPG

P1010234.JPG

P1010236.JPG

P5060250.JPG

P5060251.JPG

P5060252.JPG

P5090255.JPG

P5090253.JPG

P1010235.JPG

The electric anchoring feature will catch you far more fish than if you didn't have it. Looking at the Anderson plug set up you have, (I may just be over cautious) but if a wave or salt spray runs down the wire it will go straight into the plug corroding the wires/connections. It happened on my boat a number of times so I filled the back end where the wires come out with Sika flex.

I like the transducer mounting, allowing it to be adjusted up or down, less holes in the boat. 

Thanks Luvit, Yeah I have yet to silastic up the end of

the plug. I have my charger set up on anderson plugs so can plug it

straight into the boat one. Have my ute set up with the same so can charge it from 

there too. Planning a trip to the Burdiken dam to catch

some redclaw so will give the motor a test run down there, been rain about

up here last few days so haven't gone yet.

Cheers

Gary.

Archived