First Nerang Whiting Trip For The Year.

Daryl McPhee

While "summer" whiting can be caught year round on the Gold Coast, I start to focus on them from August onwards. As the day length gets longer, this stimulates the development of their gonads which requires them to feed more, hence making them easier to catch. Contrary to popular opinion, you can catch a feed of whiting during the day in the Nerang. 

I braved the 20+ knots of westerly on the weekend and went up the Nerang River where I still got third degree wind burn. We finished with a feed of okay sized whiting from 29 to 36 cm, so no trophy fish, but a solid kilo or so of fillets. One legal tarwhine and a few undersized bream were the only other fish caught. 

On 8/21/2017 at 1:12 PM, Daryl McPhee said:

While "summer" whiting can be caught year round on the Gold Coast, I start to focus on them from August onwards. As the day length gets longer, this stimulates the development of their gonads which requires them to feed more, hence making them easier to catch. Contrary to popular opinion, you can catch a feed of whiting during the day in the Nerang. 

Nice fish mate. Well done land based too and great to see the kids get involved. 

Good info on the feeding.

Thanks

Archived