Inside Fraser Magic

Angus

Well as a back up plan for 1770 we had Fraser as an ace up the sleeve. As our time was restricted to the bad weather we made the call and headed up last Thursday morning for an overnighter.

To be honest the fishing was tough with no birds whatsoever to hone in on we were restricted to trying to find bait schools and blind casting. We were lucky this did yield us a few mackerel, 2 solid longies and heaps of smaller random stuff (brassy trevs, heaps of little sharks etc).

Despite the tough fishing it was an awesome couple of days largely due to the anchorage. I had never camped on the inside and Wuthumba Creek really turned it on. There were fires all over Fraser (we were wondering if this was keeping the birds away actually as it was smokey everywhere) which gave the dusk and dawn an amazing quality. Combined with snow white sand and crystal clear water it was actually incredible. I vote Wuthumba for a Wanderers trip next year! We would just need to plan it on an early morning and late afternoon high tide to make sure we can get in. This means you head straight out the creek and are right in the action! On top of that it is a quick shoot up to Roonies and around the top of Fraser for anyone wanting to hit the reef out there.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

20170831_161051.jpg20170831_165048.jpg20170901_083203.jpg20170901_081452.jpg20170831_111540.jpg

Looks like a great spot to camp and fish Angus. Assume you use an anchor retrieval system similar to at Wavebreak? Will keep an eye on plans for next year and see if I can join the fun - either with Dad's boat or possibly mine if I've upgraded by then (might be getting closer than I first thought hopefully, unless the missus changes her mind ..... :)).

Some beautiful photos there @Angus. Have camped and fished there many very happy times. Once you work out the patterns the creek can fish really well if the wind is up too high to get out on the bay or you have had too many breakfast beers to take the boat out.

By the way, you need a new satisfaction scale. What you call tough fishing many of us would call a great couple of days on the water.

Archived