Hervey Bay Short Vid

Luvit

32 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice vid mate.

So glassy. Plenty of Tooooha fish. cool follows next to the boat :)

Ok so my tooona fish normally flip all over the boat for ages. I the upside down fish a thing?

If you turned them upside down or cover there eyes it has a calming effect. The last clip the tuna was released and back in the water in under a 30 seconds with no damage. @Luke Landrunner is a great on the boat.

3 hours ago, JohnTheFisherman said:

Fantastic spot hey mate! You were around Wathumba somewhere on the Fraser Island side right? I went there a couple of months and got my first Marlin - it was awesome fun. He was only a baby but still memorable. So many bust ups there - can't wait to get back.

IMG_0031.JPG

The tuna were from Wathumba up and the spotted mackerel were 5km from the Urangan boat ramp. It's a magic place to visit and congratulations on the first of many marlin.

57 minutes ago, christophagus said:

Cool video Wayne. Ill be heading up in 2 months for my bucks weekend. In two minds whether to take my own boat up or pay a guide for a day on the water chasing tuna

In all honestly I have not done a trip to HB without catching a tuna even when we were learning the ropes. It is not that hard to find them.

I just head from the Urangan boat ramp and head towards Roonies point looking for birds and surface action along the way. I am a big fan of good fishing guides and they teach you a lot that will benefit you for the rest of your fishing life.

Andrew 'Chozza' Chorley Hervey Bay Sport & Fly fishing or Tri from Fraser Guided Fishing are both highly regarded.

16 hours ago, Luvit said:

In all honestly I have not done a trip to HB without catching a tuna even when we were learning the ropes. It is not that hard to find them.

I just head from the Urangan boat ramp and head towards Roonies point looking for birds and surface action along the way. I am a big fan of good fishing guides and they teach you a lot that will benefit you for the rest of your fishing life.

Andrew 'Chozza' Chorley Hervey Bay Sport & Fly fishing or Tri from Fraser Guided Fishing are both highly regarded.

thanks for the suggestion. Im with you, I think a guided fishing day will give me a wealth of local knowledge that I can apply when I head out on my own.

17 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Hmmmm I probably should do this too. Sounds fun and informative. 

100% recommend this!

I actually went out with the same company Hervey Bay Sport Sportfishing when I got that Marlin like Luvit mentioned above - http://herveybaysportfishing.com.au/ . They were fantastic and cost just $320 each for myself, a mate and a guide. I don't think they take more than 2 guests per boat so it is not like your usual overcrowded bottom-bashing charters with 20 people all elbow to elbow. The guide Peter was very knowledgeable and had loads of experience both as an ex-Marlin boat captain in Cairns amongst other places and as Fisheries scientist. We covered a hell of a lot of water and caught Marlin, Mack Tuna and Mackerel that day.

Seriously recommend using them to anyone who is interested.

On 1/10/2018 at 4:47 PM, Luvit said:

Definitely agree with this. The day we went out there were literally hundreds, if not thousands, of Tuna bustups everywhere. I've never seen so many bustups in one day's fishing. Although we did not go out on Andrew's boat (he has a few boats in his fleet) he was a very nice guy and really went overboard to look after his customers.

He's actually been on the iFish TV show a few times with Paul Worsteling - here is one of the videos below, pretty crazy action. We didn't see any sharks like on this video on that particular day however.

As I said earlier I am a fan of guides. If you are limited on time, don't have boat, want to learn how to target a particular species they're a great investment. 

However, if you have the means to take your own boat up there you can do a lot of trips for $600 dollars (2 x persons) worth of fuel and you will catch plenty of fish compared to one day guided fishing. Even without out a sounder if you can spot birds and cast accurately you can catch fish.

This is what Sam and I weighed up when wanting to learn how to catch tuna. Do we get a guide I do it ourselves, in the end we had many trips for the cost of a one day guided one. We learnt plenty and caught many fish and had great times and did the same with the kids.

A HB social would be great way to be introduced to the area and have many boats on the water to provide tips etc.

1 minute ago, Tybo said:

What is your Saragosa setup @Luvit

That one is a Saragossa 6000 SW on a Daiwa Saltist extreme PE 2-4 jigging rod.

The rods have been supersede now but they are excellent rods if you can find one. A very versatile combo that I use for jigging, bait fishing, trolling. I have also used to it to throw large poppers and if calm enough it can be used for trolling as well.  Besides the Stella at a 1/3 of the price they are a great reel IMO.

39 minutes ago, Luvit said:

That one is a Saragossa 6000 SW on a Daiwa Saltist extreme PE 2-4 jigging rod.

The rods have been supersede now but they are excellent rods if you can find one. A very versatile combo that I use for jigging, bait fishing, trolling. I have also used to it to throw large poppers and if calm enough it can be used for trolling as well.  Besides the Stella at a 1/3 of the price they are a great reel IMO.

Thanks Wayne, yeah I've been keen on a Saragosa for awhile, but when I looked at the 8000, they felt very bulky and was kind of turned off. I have plenty of rods, just always looking at more reel options. Thanks!

The reason I got them was the waterproofness of them is the same as the Stella.

When I had the Centre Console boat the rods and reels would get a hammering from the salt spray and this was my way of minimizing the maintenance. As a bonus they come standard with carbon drag washers and have a very smooth drag system.

They are heavier than the Stradics and not as well balanced. (I think when we stand in a shop and spinning the reel to see how long it rotates for and how balanced, it is is great for us to convince ourselves we have the best we can afford). However, in practice when I'm hooked up to a good fish I'm not thinking of how balanced the reel or how easy it was to spin when there is no pressure on it. I'm concentrating on getting what ever line I can to get a fish off the bottom before it hits structure, typically you can only get a small turn of the handle anyway. I have a lot of confidence in the gear I use and where to use it. I use a 5000 Stradic for jigging on lighter rods and also good for casting at tuna all day because they are a nice light reel and can lack in line capacity when fishing deeper than 50 meters whhile drifting. But when the AJ's, Kingies etc hit I prefer to have the heavier Saragossa in my hand. 

Good luck with whatever you chose, as long as it suits what you want it to do, that's all that matters.

Yeah, I have a Stradic FK5000, which I love also, so think I'll look into the Saragosa 6000. I just looked at the specs, and they are definitely heavier than an equivalent Stradic or Biomaster, there's even 100g difference between the 6000 and 800; but like you said that comes down to the rigid durability. My current reels in this range are a pair of Penn Spinfisher 650 and 750s, which are the same, robust and bullet proof and can take on anything. The only trouble with these reels, is that there simplicity is also there downfall, not having the drag system of modern reels.

I'll decide eventually, when I have to. Thanks!

2 hours ago, JohnTheFisherman said:

I'd be keen to be part of this in some form, however I only have a kayak, and after seeing the sharks in the iFish video my 'social' would probably end up being me and a dozen toothy friends around my yak :)

We could tow you behind in the yak as a live bait John. :)

When we have socials there a quite often deckies spots offered. So the best thing is to get one is get to know everyone and your chances are increased. The more active people input on the forum the more the members are likely to offer them spots.

Since you have joined we can see you are going to be an active member with valuable input, so I don't expect you will have any problems getting a guernsey on a boat. 

48 minutes ago, Luvit said:

We could tow you behind in the yak as a live bait John. :)

When we have socials there a quite often deckies spots offered. So the best thing is to get one is get to know everyone and your chances are increased. The more active people input on the forum the more the members are likely to offer them spots.

Since you have joined we can see you are going to be an active member with valuable input, so I don't expect you will have any problems getting a guernsey on a boat. 

I might not the best live bait there - I'd be dead in the water I think :)

I was actually thinking if anyone else here is interested in coming along like me without a boat, we could organise something with the guys from Hervey Bay Sportsfishing (vacancies permitting) and everyone with boats perhaps could all be on the same radio channel to coordinate? Just an idea...

Archived