Which Boat To Buy

JamesBNE

Hi there. Looking to upgrade my 4.2 tinny. Looking for a 5-5.2m with 4 stroke. I’ll only use in Morton Bay with mates fishing or wife and two kids (10 and 8) cruising around. Really undecided about aluminium or fibreglass. No older than 2012 and up to 25k. After a smooth and stable ride. I don’t go out unless the conditions are pretty good. Considering a 2015 baysport. Any advice or tips would be great. Thanks

I'm in the process of doing the same thing mate. My advice is go to a few boatyards and lay your eyes on some boats so you can eliminate some sizes/styles/brands. I did that a couple of weekends ago and automatically worked out what size was too big, which you can't tell when just looking at ads online. If you talk to the guys at the boatyards you 'should' get some decent advice. If you're anywhere near Tingalpa I'd pop into John Crawford Marine - I know the owner and they're very reputable. No doubt some/many others are too. Enjoy the search.

I recently bought a Stessco 5m Aluminium. It rides really well in Bay slop. It has the Suzi 70 hp 4 stroke. A great set up. I have taken it outside and done lots of bay and river work. Cant fault it. 

Glass is heavier and rides a lot nicer. They use more fuel as you need a bigger engine.  Also i like aluminium as I bump around in the mangroves and dont want to worry about scratching glass. 

Good luck. It can take a while to find the right boat. I bought a bargain that ended up costing me a packet. So my advice is take your time and do the research on any boat you are looking at. 

I'm  looking at upgrading from the Poly to a 5-5.5.m glass. A mate has a Baysport, really nice boat. Brisbane Yamaha sell them, Paul McNaught is a great bloke to deal with. I'm looking at a centre console so the field is smaller,  galeforce type of boat. 

6 hours ago, JamesBNE said:

Do you think a 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke is enough for a 4.9 stacer 

IMO 60hp is underpowered.  Others will have different opinions.  If u r looking at a bowrider/runabout I would be after a bigger motor.  Some brands have a large jump in price from the 60 to a 70, so can hurt the back pocket.  But u will save money if u find it underpowered and have to sell the 60 for a larger one. I have a 4.6m side console (4.8m overall) with a 60hp and I wouldn’t want any smaller motor.

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, JamesBNE said:

Thanks mate. I popped into JCM the weekend. They were good. Are you going aluminium or fibreglass? Any makes you wouldn’t touch?

I'm going plate aluminium mate. As far as makes, just make sure you do some research when you see one you think you like - if they're dodgily built, it will more than likely show up online :) 

18 hours ago, JamesBNE said:

I think it is a little. What is the stacer set up? I have a 70hp on a 5m. it is tiller steer. if you had lots of extra weight it might be a little under powered but should be ok. 

23 hours ago, JamesBNE said:

Check the boat build plate and see what the hull is rated to. I would always opt to run a hull at its maximum rated HP; that way you don't have to run around at WOT all the time, and have the extra power on hand if you need it. Lots of new boat packages are sold under powered as it fits the boat to within a certain price bracket, and buyers see an 'X'm boat at a 'Y' price and perceive it to be a good deal.

2 hours ago, JamesBNE said:

Great advice mate. A Clark 515 challenger caught my eye with a 90 on it. Might take a look the weekend 

I have a current model Clark rebel and can vouch for their build quality.  They don’t have fancy names for their hull designs but a lot of technology goes into them

Archived