494.3kg Blue Marlin Caught At Exmouth

John

Saw this online and thought worth sharing: http://www.egfc.com.au

First 1000lb+ blue marlin caught in Australia to GFAA rules.
History was made on Jan 1st 2018 with Captain Eddy Lawler from Peak Sportfishing!

exmouth-grander-gantry-small-for-web_orig.thumb.jpg.666f53e0412d6adb7e79cafaf308a438.jpg

Date: Jan 1st
Captain: Eddy Lawler
Boat: Black Marlin
Angler: Clay Hilbert
Line Class: 60kg
Method: Switched off a Bonze Violator
Weight: 494.3kg = 1089.7lb
Congratulations to the crew.

pic-from-fb_orig.thumb.jpg.2577bcedbb6033424d49df02a969d7ff.jpg

Special thanks to all the volunteers that helped out at the EGFC on the night of weighing. In particular, Mark Hourn, Anna Passsmore, Maarit Mossman, Scott Owens, Deb Foster and Matt Gates.
Special thanks to Phil from Exmouth Freight and Logistics for helping with the crane!

Eddy has tagged over 1000 (1180 to Jan 1st, 2018) billfish with The Billfish Foundation and many hundreds of billfish with NSW fisheries over the few years he has been fishing in Exmouth.
Eddy has had a few recaptures recently as well, (2 in one week in December) which is fantastic to see. 
Last week Eddy and others satellite tagged fish too.  In fact, the EGFC were one of the first clubs to participate in the IGFA's Great Marlin Race, which involved tagging 10 marlin off Exmouth in 2012.  All the details of where those fish went can be found on the IGFA website.
Exmouth Game Fishing Club has won top tagging club in Australia more than once, which is a great effort in this remote location. From this capture, we will gain more information on these species and we believe in highlighting the positives of recreational fishing to help others learn, respect and appreciate the ocean and fish within it.  
This fish will be used for years to come. 
This particular blue marlin will be used for research and education and be available for visitors to the region to view and grasp the size of fish out there. (Especially those people who can’t go out in the ocean!)
Thanks everyone for your great feedback on Facebook. We hope that those people who were not aware of the work we do for the conservation of billfish, have learnt so much more.

12 hours ago, natang said:

Bloody hell that is huge! Did anyone see the IFish episode off Eagles Nest in Tasmania earlier in the year Paul Westerling catches a massive bloody Marlin too. 

I missed that one. 

Part of me wants to catch one like that, part of me wishes it was still out there swimming, part of me wants to eat it. There must be some massive uncatchable things out there. A mate told me of a trip to a sea mount between Aust and PNG. They had everything going for them with massive very heavy game reels and strapped into a chair on a huge boat. Gear fully locked up with pliers. They put the baits down half way to the sea mount and still the huge dog tooth tuna (probably) reefed them every time. 

10 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I missed that one. 

Part of me wants to catch one like that, part of me wishes it was still out there swimming, part of me wants to eat it. There must be some massive uncatchable things out there. A mate told me of a trip to a sea mount between Aust and PNG. They had everything going for them with massive very heavy game reels and strapped into a chair on a huge boat. Gear fully locked up with pliers. They put the baits down half way to the sea mount and still the huge dog tooth tuna (probably) reefed them every time. 

IFish successfully released theres back to live another day. It was bigger then the boat. Should be able to find it on youtube or on ninenow still. 

His wasn't weighed as it was catch and release but the estimated well over 270kg... 3hr fight . Bloody hell! 

Archived