Guidance Needed

Allthegear

Hi all,

Im after some advice from you legends.  Im an avid fish who hasnt fished for 10+ years.

i have no clue what is the go in the industry now in regards to rods and reels etc.

Can i please get advice on combos for the following:

Rod/reel/line for snapper and jew on plastics

Rod/reel/line for bream on plastics and HB's.

Thanks in advance

Hi Allthegear

While I am no expert on either of these, the combos I use are very comfortable and suited to both these types of fishing. 

My go to for anything sizeable (whether it be bullies or threadfin salmon or jews) is my 650 Penn reel, spooled with 30lb J braid. It has a nice smooth drag and has stopped and landed many fish for me. I use a 2M boat rod, just a Rogue Firepoint which is nothing fancy.

I am a bait fisho normally but when I use lures for any fish (such as bream, flathead, cod, etc) I will use my 1000 size Shimano Sienna with anywhere from 8lb to 14lb braid. I know this is far to heavy, but this reel fits lots of good braid on, is smooth, and has lasted me for over 7 years. If you want to go light, don't be afraid to because this is a very small reel probably suited to 6lb mainline. I have it on an Ugly Stik 6"6' rod, which in my opinion is also a great combo for light fishing. 

Hope this helps, 

Cheers Hamish 😉 

If you also put up a rough budget we'll also be able to recommend particular brands/types. The combos @ellicat has suggested are a good guide - if you can afford it, a Stradic 5000 size is a very good all-rounder.

From memory you have about a 4.2-4.5m boat and I assume therefore will be fishing the bay/river? If so, if you can afford it I'd go for three outfits:

1. Bream - 2-4kg 2000/2500 size reel with 6lb braid

2. Squire - 3-5kg 2500/300 size reel with 10-12lb braid

3. Snapper/Jew - 6-8kg 4000/5000 size reel with 20lb line (you could go 25lb or 30lb if you wanted)

Thankyou for your reply,

unfortunately i dont have a boat anymore, i had a new 490 Topender with 90HO 4 stroke Mercury which i had to sell 12 years ago when i got divorced, it was my pride and joy, hence why i havent fished for the past 10 yers or so.  However i have a good mate that is keen for me to get back into fishing and happy to take me out in his boat

I can afford about $500 PER COMBO

CHEERS

11 hours ago, Allthegear said:

Thankyou for your reply,

unfortunately i dont have a boat anymore, i had a new 490 Topender with 90HO 4 stroke Mercury which i had to sell 12 years ago when i got divorced, it was my pride and joy, hence why i havent fished for the past 10 yers or so.  However i have a good mate that is keen for me to get back into fishing and happy to take me out in his boat

I can afford about $500 PER COMBO

CHEERS

Not sure of your age, fitness, etc but with that budget it would be worth considering getting a kayak if it remotely interests you? They don't have to cost too much (some good deals pop up on Gumtree, just need to check often to snap them up) and it would open up a lot of options that being land-based prevents. Flathead would be another handy target for you also 🙂 

13 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Not sure of your age, fitness, etc but with that budget it would be worth considering getting a kayak if it remotely interests you? They don't have to cost too much (some good deals pop up on Gumtree, just need to check often to snap them up) and it would open up a lot of options that being land-based prevents. Flathead would be another handy target for you also 🙂 

Hi kmcrosby78

It's funny you say that because a little cheap kayak for me is exactly what I've had my eye out for, but I only have a budget of around $350 (OK, that's quiet a lot for me, my Christmas and birthday money for a while pooled) and can't seem to find a good one with wheels. Saying this, I haven't looked for about 2 months...

Allthegear, like kmcrosby78, I recommend a kayak if you are interested because it can give you a wider variety of spots, especially for bream fishing, and most bread and butter species, simply because of the more creeks, holes, and other things that aren't accessible land based. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

4 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi kmcrosby78

It's funny you say that because a little cheap kayak for me is exactly what I've had my eye out for, but I only have a budget of around $350 (OK, that's quiet a lot for me, my Christmas and birthday money for a while pooled) and can't seem to find a good one with wheels. Saying this, I haven't looked for about 2 months...

Allthegear, like kmcrosby78, I recommend a kayak if you are interested because it can give you a wider variety of spots, especially for bream fishing, and most bread and butter species, simply because of the more creeks, holes, and other things that aren't accessible land based. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

The more often you look, the more likely you'll find a good deal (and be the first to snap it up - that's the tricky bit 🙂). I would suggest doing a daily search of Gumtree, will only take you a couple of minutes but well worth it to pick up a bargain. Second hand gives such good value - here is an example of one that has just sold:  https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/forestdale/kayaks-paddle/fishing-kayak-plus-extras/1246964168    $300 for an almost new kayak with seat, paddle, rod holder, net and bonus soft roof racks. Can't go wrong - the trolleys are cheap and it doesn't cost a lot more to put a sounder on.

If you are going to have it on the car reasonably often, a cheap set of clip on roof racks likes these are also worth their weight in gold: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/redland-bay/kayaks-paddle/roof-rack-in-very-good-condition/1246864565   I had a similar set and they easily held my 4.1m kayak.

Hiya kmcrosby78

Thanks for the tip, I to agree the hard part is snapping them up. I think I will pick up my game and start searching as well, I agree that second hand is great if you don't mind a couple scratches and the item to be a bit worn (as long as you aren't purchasing a dud, which we did once with a Playstation, we got it from Cash Converters and it broke in six months after our prior one had lasted seven years, I haven't had a game console since... LOL). 

We have normal roof racks on our car to carry our bikes (my Dad and his mate go riding with my brother and sister and I) and we have some of those ones to help get the kayak on/secure it. Thanks for some of the links too. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

For a bream setup I would recommend you get a Shimano Stradic fl 1000 and spool it with 6lb daiwa j braid and get a atomic arrows bream surface rod . The bream surface rod is very versatile I use mine for bait fishing hardbody lures and soft plastics fishing All work well with the rod and the rods retail extremely cheap considering how good they are 10 times better then anything in their price point I got mine for $112 but usually retail between $130-150 but even at $150 their worth the price they can handle anything from small bream and whiting to big Jew tailor and flathead . Hope that helps  . Oh and the Stradic fl reels in the 1000 size can usually be between $250-274