Im relatively new to fishing, caught this fish, anyone know the species?

lilcman

Hey lilcman

Welcome to AFO. If you need any advice it's always good to look through the old posts by using the search function.

I would agree with Breaming with bro. I caught one of them when prawning once (forgot to make an ID thread here after I did the report). Someone who was at the jetty told me it was poisonous.

Cheers Hamish

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey lilcman

Welcome to AFO. If you need any advice it's always good to look through the old posts by using the search function.

I would agree with Breaming with bro. I caught one of them when prawning once (forgot to make an ID thread here after I did the report). Someone who was at the jetty told me it was poisonous.

Cheers Hamish

Yeah Fortescue aren’t poisonous they are venomous although I don’t think their venom is strong it’s props similar to bullroat . The difference between venomous and poisonous fish is that venomous fish are safe to eat but are harmful to touch poisonous fish are opposite . Harmful to eat usually safe to touch for example most speices of toadfish are safe to touch but if cooked and eaten you will definitely get ill . Unless your in Japan and the chef is trained to cut certain parts of the toadfish or puffer that are safe to eat and don’t contain the venom