fishing on the inskip peninsula qld

Virtyewww
Go to solution Solved by ellicat,

Has anyone ever fished on the Inskip Peninsula? I’m heading there this weekend and wondering what sort of fish are great to catch and the ideal method of fishing to catch some dinner while camping. 
Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have recently moved over from NZ so pretty new to the Aus fishing scene. 
cheers

5 hours ago, Angry51 said:

Welcome to the forum and to OZ, can't help with info as I don't come from down there but someone will come along shortly and help you out.😀

Now I've gotta go out and lock up my sheep, just kidding mate.😂😂😂

tsk, tsk @Angry51
Been meaning to ask you, are there good spots for getting RedClaw out your way?

9 hours ago, Sylvathorn said:

I agree @ellicat, would be similar to Fraser. Should also pick up Flatties and some whiting in the surf.
Do you know the easiest way to get Pippies on surf beaches @Virtyewww ?
On a dropping tide, I like the 2nd half best, drive along the beach, you will see mounds of sand on the damp part, (often flattened by other 4WD's), some spots will have concentrations of them. Under each one is a Pippie, simply push a finger in on one edge, hook it under and pull out the Pippie. They are great bait, and great to eat too!
Be aware though, there is a bag limit on Pippies.
Oh, and welcome to Oz 🙂

Cheers

Thanks for the information! That’s all great stuff, I’ll give it a crack.

13 hours ago, ellicat said:

Assuming you mean Inskip Point. I can't say I've ever had a fish there, only passed through on the way to Fraser. At this time of year you may pick up some tailor stragglers on the surf side, using pilchards. Dusk and dawn are the best times.

There would also be plenty of dart in the surf on fresh pippies or beach worms.

Awesome mate! Thanks for your help, fingers crossed

11 hours ago, Sylvathorn said:

tsk, tsk @Angry51
Been meaning to ask you, are there good spots for getting RedClaw out your way?

Yeah, down the dam is OK most times. If you get away from where all the tourists go it's pretty good. The dam's about 80k's from Ravenswood, you could come up the back way from Home Hill about 90k's to R/wood some dirt but mostly kept in reasonable condition for the tourists.

2 hours ago, Angry51 said:

Yeah, down the dam is OK most times. If you get away from where all the tourists go it's pretty good. The dam's about 80k's from Ravenswood, you could come up the back way from Home Hill about 90k's to R/wood some dirt but mostly kept in reasonable condition for the tourists.

Thanks @Angry51
I'm hoping to make up an Aquaponics system based around 2 x 1000liter Pods. Initially one will be for Barra to stock the Dam out the back, and the other for Red Claw (eventually both).
So I will need to get a few once the tanks are up and stabilized, for initial stocks.

cheers, Misha

1 hour ago, Sylvathorn said:

Thanks @Angry51
I'm hoping to make up an Aquaponics system based around 2 x 1000liter Pods. Initially one will be for Barra to stock the Dam out the back, and the other for Red Claw (eventually both).
So I will need to get a few once the tanks are up and stabilized, for initial stocks.

cheers, Misha

I would be looking at cheribin over redclaw for the aquaponics stock. Better eating, harvest well and go well in the dams too. They tend to clean the water a lot better too.

I know two guys that grow out their barra fingerlings in the aquaponics tanks then transfer them to their dam as sport fish. One of the guys is giving jacks a go this summer.....

3 hours ago, mangajack said:

I would be looking at cheribin over redclaw for the aquaponics stock. Better eating, harvest well and go well in the dams too. They tend to clean the water a lot better too.

I know two guys that grow out their barra fingerlings in the aquaponics tanks then transfer them to their dam as sport fish. One of the guys is giving jacks a go this summer.....

thanks @mangajack, I'll do a bit of research

3 hours ago, Angry51 said:

We had rc in pods/tanks and unless you had heaps of hidy holes for the little ones the others ate them and we ended up with two bigs ones left, so we don't breed them anymore.😂

Yes, @Angry51, you do need to preprare ahead with lots of hiding spots for the tiny, small, medium, largish and the big ones too.
I have bred them successfully before, on a smaller scale, for feeding my catfish, Saratoga and Murry Cod.

On 06/09/2023 at 1:46 PM, mangajack said:

the cheribin sound like a good option @mangajack, saw a place in WA where they grow them to 300 gms.

I'll have to see if I can find some to catch once I get the Aquaponics tanks set up.