quick fish and testing the new leccy

Huxstang

59 minutes ago, ellicat said:

What size is the motor ? Did it hold easily ?

54 is a good squire for the river. Just right for a feed.

Its a 75” which is just right for my boat.  Garmins use brushless motors so they can be run as either 24v 80lb or 36v 100lb.

Held super easy….actually the spot lock was next level good.  I will have to video it to be able to show how good it is….they dont have so much a job feature as a move on spot lock…so using any of the direction arrows on spot lock just press it as many times in any direction as you want to go…move 20m left hit the left arrow 20 times etc…also does gesture steering but I havent tried that.

With tide at full flow we just sat with no discernable movement at all.  Happy to show you some time if you want after Xmas.

11 hours ago, Huxstang said:

Its a 75” which is just right for my boat.  Garmins use brushless motors so they can be run as either 24v 80lb or 36v 100lb.

Held super easy….actually the spot lock was next level good.  I will have to video it to be able to show how good it is….they dont have so much a job feature as a move on spot lock…so using any of the direction arrows on spot lock just press it as many times in any direction as you want to go…move 20m left hit the left arrow 20 times etc…also does gesture steering but I havent tried that.

With tide at full flow we just sat with no discernable movement at all.  Happy to show you some time if you want after Xmas.

Sounds like a top motor. I just had a Google of them. They sound like the bomb, but out of my price range, unfortunately.

I'd like a look sometime, so if we can match a ramp and launch day that would be good.

Yeah they are not low priced that is for sure.  Reaility is that within a few hundred of a similar MK.    $6190 is what a mate just paid in Townsville and a MK on sale seems to be @ $5900 for a 72”.  Mine was cheaper but I had bought another $9k of gear at the same time.

These latest generation leccys are certainly a step up, be interesting to see what the new brushless versions of the MK are like as well - but they will be as much as the Garmins in price.

Ultimately I think it comes down to the type of electronics you run.  I wanted to interface everything together - actually wanted the leccy mounted side scan transducer as well…but lets not get started on that saga.

6 hours ago, mangajack said:

Are you getting any interference or better images on the sounder since fitting the Kraken?

I have heard some people get some interference when the motor jogs left to right or high to low power??

No, but motor is completely isolated from the sounders.  They run off house bank and lithiums up front are isolated and only charged via 240v at this point, batteries are 12v 100ahr running into a Victron 12/24 50amp DC DC converter.  

Have heard of people having same interference problems with MK on Garmin sounders…no idea if its on other brands of sounders as well….only follow the Garmin forums.  But from what I have read the problem is where you have a multibank 240v charger across house and troll banks.

Will see how I go with regards battery life and wire in a DC-DC from the motor if it looks like I cannot do a 10hr day without charging.  I’d run a solar but side console means no permanent roof to put a panel onto.