coarse/match fishing

welshsi

Hi guys,

Could someone advise on this please....

We are moving to Brisbane in April and I'm currently sorting what fishing gear to bring with me(I have lots 🫣)

Obviously I'm bringing my sea(boat/shore), fresh water (bait,fly,lure) but,I have lots of match fishing tackle as I fished comps in the UK (roach,barbel,chub,etc).I have pole and rods(feeder,waggler,bomb,stick) as well as trolley,ground bait buckets,rollers,etc,etc....the full set up. now,is there any point in that gear coming with me?is there a use for that tackle over there?.or do I try to sell it and buy more sea gear 🤣🤯🫣

Many thanks

Simon

Google Chris Britton Rods.  He is a custom rod maker - lists the specs of rods he makes.  If any of your rods dont match the rods he makes then I would say you wont use it.

Really here in Brisbane you can fish:

Light Tackle Game

Heavy Tackle Game

Offshore (pelagic and demersal)

Inshore (Moreton Bay) (same but the smaller species normally)

Beach (ie surf)

Estuary

Impoundment natives

Freshwater native fish

Depends on what you want to target but personally I think for inshore and estuary the 2500-5000 size Shimano reels are about right depending on how heavy a stick you want to use.  For overheads Shimano 200 class mainly though you can use 150’s as the water isnt that deep (not much over 20m is the deepest part of the bay)

Offshore Shimano SW reels from 5000-14000 for spin and overheads up to @ Shimano Talica 20 depending on the stick you match with. (20m-100m is the normal depth ranges with the closer reefs in the 30-40m depth and then 100m before you get into deep dropping)

I just use the Shimano sizes because I dont know Daiwa and other brands very well.

If you are a tournament fisher then you may get into the bream or bass tournament scene they will fish ultra light so if you have anything in the 1-3kg and Shimano 1000 size reel you may want to bring it.

30 minutes ago, Huxstang said:

Google Chris Britton Rods.  He is a custom rod maker - lists the specs of rods he makes.  If any of your rods dont match the rods he makes then I would say you wont use it.

Really here in Brisbane you can fish:

Light Tackle Game

Heavy Tackle Game

Offshore (pelagic and demersal)

Inshore (Moreton Bay) (same but the smaller species normally)

Beach (ie surf)

Estuary

Impoundment natives

Freshwater native fish

Depends on what you want to target but personally I think for inshore and estuary the 2500-5000 size Shimano reels are about right depending on how heavy a stick you want to use.  For overheads Shimano 200 class mainly though you can use 150’s as the water isnt that deep (not much over 20m is the deepest part of the bay)

Offshore Shimano SW reels from 5000-14000 for spin and overheads up to @ Shimano Talica 20 depending on the stick you match with. (20m-100m is the normal depth ranges with the closer reefs in the 30-40m depth and then 100m before you get into deep dropping)

I just use the Shimano sizes because I dont know Daiwa and other brands very well.

If you are a tournament fisher then you may get into the bream or bass tournament scene they will fish ultra light so if you have anything in the 1-3kg and Shimano 1000 size reel you may want to bring it.

That's some superb info,thanks so much👍.

At the moment I'm using mostly penn reels in the 2000-7000 rang for all my shore fishing then multiplyers for boat.

Out of interest,what species do you fish for in the "impoundment natives"?

Around Brisbane there are quite a few dams loaded with australian bass and the like.  Rayke is the resident expert on them IMHO as he fished two of the dams every week.   I hope I am firing as well as him when I get to his age is all I can say.

Head about 4hrs west and south and you get into the dams stocked with murray cod - an absolute trophy fish and australias largest freshwater fish….by along way.  Just google them.  An absolute beautiful fish as well.  Only thing better is a wild murray cod and they are in all the western rivers from the QLD border down (some areas more than others).

Head about 4hrs north and you get barramundi (on steroids) as per Manga’s post.  Another hour from there is another dam also stocked with barra.  Barra in the dams get probably an easy twice as heavy as a wild barra.  Best we have gotten in Lake Misery (aka Monduran aka Fred Haig Dam) is 122cm and estimated at 30kg.  Only estimate because mate and I are not exactly weak and it was a tough lift.

The biggest thing you will have to adapt to when you come here is we treat 4 or 5 hr drives as around the corner….