Teneriffe Bream

nigehey

Hi, I haven't been fishing in Brisbane long, so have been experimenting with various plastics and baits around the river, in particular New Farm park, but also up to Teneriffe. Anyway, I headed down to Newstead House this morning with my young boy (I almost always fish with a pram - so it limits my land based options somewhat) and I started flicking squidgy wrigglers (75mm - var colours with finesse 1/16" heads) and gulp 3" mullet in nuke chook (which managed to leak through my bag - argh can't they make those packets resealable properly!!) into all the fishy looking spots on the run in tide.

After numerous chases from decent bream and a mortgage worth of gulps eaten by rubbish I finally started connecting when I downsized to a 1/32" and #4 hook on 30cm of 6# leader on 4# fireline. I pulled in a couple of good sized bream (although no brag mat!). This is a good little spot - particularly around the pylons right up close to the rock wall nearer the high tide. Plenty of bait around too.

Cheers

nigehey

Thanks pinkey - any advice on what kind? I have read about the ecogear sx series on this forum being used by a few people. I'm sure my wife wont mind me starting off yet another collection of equipment (I'd never used plastics before coming to Brisbane and have never caught a fish on a hardbody - unless trevally on wonder wobblers count!)...

nigehey

Hey ive had all my luck on sx40 in the colour 307, Theese lures are pricey at usually around $17 odd.. But should catch you alot of fish, They are fairly snag resistant, and when you do get snagged its usualy pretty easy to get out, as you should be casting around 30cm - 1m out paralel to a rockwall.. Plastics are great for around the mouth of the river, and awsome for rivers like The tweed river, gold coast canals ect, but small hard bodys seem to be the best in the brisbane river landbased.

pinkey wrote:

Nice work mate, but hardbodys work alot better landbased around that part of the river, just cast paralell to the rockwalls and you should grab a few..

Really?:blink: I've never cught a fish there on a HB's (or any lure:silly:) But that said, when I went there, I hadn't been fishing with lures for very long. After this report I'm definately gonna try againB)

Roughly how big was the one pictured or the biggest one? They look pretty decent:cheer:

And thanks for the in depth report on the plastics and location. Really appreciate it:)

Hi Cowfish - not sure how long they were - but I'm guessing the largest was 33cm and the smallest significantly smaller.

I went back down there today after taking some advice from posters and have an sx48 in the 307 scheme. Try as I might I couldn't pull in anything other than cod. I caught 5 of these in just over an hour - casting close to the rockwalls and running the lure back parralel as per instructions. They were all around the same size - approaching 30cm. I finally took a tape measure as you can see from the pic.

Is it my retrieve that is unattractive to the bream? I'm using a slow roll, occasional flick and twitch. But I also stepped it up and tried quick retrieves - the cod were all on the slower retrieves. Any help appreciated. Thanks

nigehey [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Picture_005-70a1d9f66ba2fb606be80b758a2970cf.jpg

post-2098-144598442306_thumb.jpg

Hi pinkey, thanks for the reply. I'm using 4lb fireline mainline with a 40cm 6lb mono leader - same as I was using for the sp's just ripped off the jig head and tied a loop for the hb. My first fish ever on hb's too - so pretty excited to have a good first session.

Yeah thats all good, just try extending your leader to atleast 1m, preferably about a rod length, in saying that it shouldnt matter to much in dirty, low fishing pressured waters like the brisbane river, It is more important in heavily fished clearer waters. Bream can be finniky little creatures :P. The species you will most likely encounter around the rocky areas around where you are fishing, are most likely, Bream and cod, With the odd Moses perch, and flattie, Sometimes catties especialy if you burely the area, and rarely but it has happend, Trevally Gt's and Bigeye's, and maybe a squire out deeper.... and maybe once in a million years a magrove jack.. oh and sometimes little taylor.. just incase you were wondering... anyway Troy is the king of theese waters. :P.

Gerty got his Jack a bit further down stream but yeah was close to there.

You're in Bream water where you're fishing keep at it with small hardbodies, you'll get one sooner or later. Hardbodies definitely dominate plastics land based in the Brisbane River. I've had plenty of sessions with over 20 Bream this Summer. Try a little further up stream ;) .

Troy

Archived