Saturday - report now attached

benno573

Anyone up for a mission saturday arvo/evening/night? i have a 17.5ft runabout and am thinking of heading to the "pin area" from about 12 for the afternoon incoming tide OR to the mouth of the river from around 5 onwards to annoy the resident shark population. i notice a lot of people on this site like to fish with lures/sp - may not be much oppurtunity to do this as i am generally a bait fisho. weather is looking somewhere between average and total crap hence the sheltered locations. please BYO gear and beer :laugh: own transport or abiltity to get to boat ramp/my place (kuraby) is required.

ok... sorry i couldn't get this to you earlier ellicat, hope you had some fun counting the beans anyway :laugh:

headed out from carbrook about 10am on saturday in pissing down rain and about 25kn s/se. great. :angry: tide was dropping so thought i would throw the castnet at the mouth of a creek for some live bait. in 4 casts came up with about 30 prawns of perfect bait size and a couple of poddies which was a great start. pumped some yabbies then headed for cobby passage.

anchored up in cobby, perfectly flat and little wind. beautiful. tide was dead low. flicked a lightly weitghted live prawn out towards the bank and barely had the rod in the holder before it got nailed. a small flattie was soon boated then released. a good start. hoiked a live mullet out into the yonder hoping for something big. we'll get back to that later...

continuing on the live prawns and yabbies, i caught 6 flathead, 4 bream and then what i thought was a freight train that turned out to be a 49cm grunter bream, which did make it to the esky. then my baitrunner started to make a bit of a noise...

clicked the reel into gear and game on!!! this was something serious, not an eel, not a stingray... what have i got here? about 5 min later, i had a 92cm 3.8kg flathead in the net. a truly beautiful specimen which was very promptly released unharmed. biggest one of those i have ever caught. good to know they are still around.

all in all, a very relaxing session despite the weather. my new gf put in a request for some dinner so along with the grunter i kept a 34cm whiting and a 46cm flathead to stay in the good books. might have to see if i can rustle up a crew member next time!!!

Archived