Need AFO advice

efc

Hi all, I am hoping to purchase a kayak in the next few weeks so I can start attending AFO events.

I am after a kayak for both fishing and keeping fit. I am aiming at a kayak that can go both up rivers and at the same time handle a beach launch in the future.

I have narrowed the field down to a perception swing and a cobra pro fisherman.

I was wondering if any members have paddled the yaks mentioned above and would really appreciate any feedback.

I am a bit over 170cm tall and 70kgs if that helps at all

thanks in advance

Nick

Nick,

Like Angus I've not been on either of the kayaks you mention.

I have however spent a lot of years paddling various craft while fishing. I currently own a 16' Canadian, a Coleman Scanoe and an Australis Bass. Have also paddled quite a few different of the current crop of "sit on top" style yaks. The Viking is a nice craft to paddle.

That said however, if I were buying another kayak today, it would be a Hobie Outback. Peddle power as opposed to paddle power, gets you there faster and drier , a big plus in winter. It also eliminates the need to put down the rod to pick up a paddle a hundred times a day.

Schultzy.

how good are the members on this forum, thanks for the offers guys.

At this stage i am pretty keen on the 2 kayaks mentioned above. They have some good reviews as fishing platforms on various forums and websites.

cant wait to catch up with the afo crew on the water

Nick

my advise is to test paddle as many yaks as possible and dont let price be the only factor.

You really only want to purchase one yak. It will be cheaper.

Saying that I cant comment on the Cobra but the Swing is a fast smooth yak. You will get monkey butt in it and have only seen people sell them to upgrade to a Hobie

Strangely when paddling the last 2 times off wello pt , me in my prowler 13 got wetter than a mate in his swing , i really liked the way the swing went through the water compared to my p13....they are a nice kayak and i suggest looking up "billybob's website he deals in swings up the sunshine coast , more importantly his site has videos etc of his swing offshore catching mackeral , my brother-in-law has a different cobra [expedition] nice but wetter ride .

StevenM wrote:

Nick

my advise is to test paddle as many yaks as possible and dont let price be the only factor.

You really only want to purchase one yak. It will be cheaper.

Saying that I cant comment on the Cobra but the Swing is a fast smooth yak. You will get monkey butt in it and have only seen people sell them to upgrade to a Hobie

Nick, Steven's comments are so true, paddle as many as you can before parting with your money.

Regards

Al

Archived