Brissie River 05/05

Crusty

In the full spirit of the union movement, Novrain and myself celebrated Labour Day by fishing and talking smack :silly:

We arrived at the mouth of Oxley Creek just after 4:30am. We are both pretty green at the cast-netting game, but after about 15-20 minutes we had enough prawns to get started..Out the lines went, and we also flicked around a few SPs and hardbodies. Unfortunately the fish weren't out to play much over the next 4 hours. We were fishing an incoming tide which was very low when we first arrived but towards the peak by the time we left. Merv got onto a small bream and then a golden toadfish. We both had the odd good strike but weren't able to hook onto anything. Murphy had the last laugh while I was off defiling a tree in the park...as i was defiling the said tree, the voice inside my head said 'i bet my line takes off while i'm away'. two minutes later i came back to the pontoon and Merv told me to take a look at my line. He had tackled a nice little stingray to the jetty and left it in the water so i could have the inner glow of pulling it up myself ;) as i was rerigging that line, i dropped my second line over the edge of the jetty right at our feet. i went to pull it up 10 minutes later and there was some weight. Pulled up the biggest buck mud crab i have ever seen! :) Definitely made my day. Was snagged in the sinew between the join of it's claw and arm...

after that bit of excitement i decided to try and cast net a few more livies. As an illustration of how green i am with the cast net, i forgot to tie it around my hand and threw the whole thing 3 meters off the jetty :blush: thank god Merv was able to snag it with his line and bring it back in...an hour later a fella came along to castnet a few banana prawns and we were able to get some pointers. For good reason, the first point was to tie the thing to your hand!! ;)

All in all, and enjoyable morning, though we were both a bit disappointed that the livies didn't attract anything more formidable. I should also add that the few things we caught were all on live or dead prawns, and that none of the SPs or hardbodies attracted attention all morning. I think next time we will try to hit this place on a runout tide instead while bait etc is being flushed out of the creek and into the adjacent river. No photos right now since i am writing from work, but i will add some later on tonight.

Cheers

damian

Sounds like an enjoyable morning mate. Nice work on the buck mud crab! Gotta love it when you can actually land them on a line.

I'm pretty green with a cast net myself, but anyway a bit of advice from one novice to another; I was taught and much prefer to hold the free end in my teeth rather than tying it around my wrist. The reason for this is incase you manage to cast over a shark by accident, naturally the shark would be spooked and take off, taking you and the net with it. Much easier to open ya mouth, (pretty sure it would be a natural reaction, along with an "Oh $##7"...)

Anyway mate, good report, look forward to seeing the pics.

Cheers,

Matt.

thanks for the replies fellas..

Mangler: thanks for the tip! sounds like a very good idea. I guess then you just have to be careful not to cast too hard / far or you end up losing your castnet plus a few teeth! ;)

Ellicat: cheers, will definitely come along to the next cast-netting session

Adrian: haha, at least i'm not the only one then :P

Angus: Yeah, it has a very fishy look about it, but i've noticed that there haven't been too many great reports written about the place. Would definitely like to give it at least one more try, see if it gets any better

Cheers

damian

nice one mate..

I snagged a flattie their in my cast neta bout 2 weeks ago at dusk, hah couldnt beleive it.

I never go fishing there though,but i reckon if you could get out past banks around that area on the main brisbane river, banana prawns, early morn, outgoing tide, you would have a chance at hooking somthing

Oxley creek would be full of dead water on a runout i reckon

cheers

Archived