Winter and wet weather fishing discussion..

pinkey

Hi all,

Seeing It'l be winter tomorrow, and were going through abit of wet weather i feel like having a discussion on these conditions fishing wise, got some questions to.

Ill start with the winter bit. From what i understand... That most of the bream from rivers, head out to around the mouth and hold deep and school to spawn or whatnot, flattys come into the shallows, cod, jacks ect shut down, and the tailor jewwies seem to come onto the bite, With the threadys, it seems they stay fairly catchable throughout winter wich is nice. But in winter it seems that all the midd - upper reaches of rivers and creeks seem to slow down heaps, for eg midd - upper brissy river.. Produces very little sharks, bream, tarpon ect even cattys, crabs in the colder months but still produces some threadys.. And schultz, seems alot of the bream, cod ect seem to vanish. So in winter, using lures your best bet would be in the shallows for flattys, Deep in the lower reaches for bream, lower reaches for tailor.. And oh, what about large mullet do they head off to the ocean when it cools down?

Just being landbased mainly fishing in the middle brisbane river, and other local creeks, seems like winter sorta sucks compared to summer... The breaming realy seems to shut down in the river and local creeks unless you have a boat and can target the deeper structure around the mouth (a few exeptions).

And in wet weather, all the fresh seems to shut the midd - upper reaches of rivers down alot, Ive heard it does fire the jewies up abit, does anyone know if there is any jewfish From say indropilly upstream? Ive heard of them in the old days but never latly, only those river perch.. is there anything else taht seems to fire with the fresh influence around brissy? I guess the fresh wouldnt do any harm to the bass..?

Any thoughts or hints welcome

Tim

pinkey wrote:

I will, but A. Very hard for me to get to, B. Dont want to just fish for bass at Npd all winter.

ill eb putting in some good hours at NPD in the coming weeks, plus snapper fishing when we get the boat and deep breaming aswell.

as for your options, if you put in the time around the river itll produce ;)

whatnow wrote:

pinkey wrote:
I will, but A. Very hard for me to get to, B. Dont want to just fish for bass at Npd all winter.

youl want to just go bassin after youve caught your first they go heaps harder than bream and grow bigger!!!:woohoo:

definitely! and bassing in NPD's very challenging no matter how they fight. casting itself is enjoyable when ur using a good baitcaster lol. kidding.

whatnow wrote:

pinkey wrote:

youl want to just go bassin after youve caught your first they go heaps harder than bream and grow bigger!!!:woohoo:

Most of my enjoyment comes in exploring natural creeks, rivers ect fishing interesting structure and fooling the wild fish and never knowing what your going to catch next no matter the size.

But yeh looking foward to some impoundment bassing in winter when they school thats for sure, although i would much prefer wild bassing ofcourse but that isnt all that practical sometimes.

bigtez wrote:

I will be hitting the flats with my newly acquired fly rod. Hopefully I will have the hang of it by the time summer comes so I can go chasing jacks on fly.

Terry

Thats sweet! I love fly fishing.. just cant afford a rod atm :(.

You should have some good sessions on the flattys in the shallows this winter.

pinkey wrote:

bigtez wrote:
I will be hitting the flats with my newly acquired fly rod. Hopefully I will have the hang of it by the time summer comes so I can go chasing jacks on fly.

Terry

Thats sweet! I love fly fishing.. just cant afford a rod atm :(.

You should have some good sessions on the flattys in the shallows this winter.

I think it could end up being my new obsession. I have some fly tieing gear on its way from basspro that should be here in a week or too so when the weather is bad I will have something else to amuse me.

mate at the end of summer i was catching one or two a 60-70cm threadie every time i went out and landed a 90cm threadie in the morning with plenty of wild snap offs.

Was also catchin regular 30-33 cm bream.

That was when i started fishin the river..

so i never fished early mid summer

lately since late autum and winter hit,nothing ,zilch,good prawns live, never lost a bait.

Tonight i actually had a go and caught a mudcrab, reasonable size but not worth keeping, then i tried a different technique by just casting my line about 2 -3 meters out from the bank,

10 minutes later snagged an estuary cod,, about 20 cm, very good lookin fish with lots of orange spots.

so maybe there is a bit of activity there but nothing of any reasonable size for me anyway :P

I notice a lack of baitfish (herring mainly in the river lately)and in my experience so far an abundance of prawns an

baitfish in the cast net means you got a chance.

Yeah i dot know aboput fresh and jewies but a bit of fresh is ok, its a natural process,they might shut down for a while but

i have caught plenty of fish in and after rain and caught an estuary cod tonight after regualr rain.

But if yuo guy notice a drop after rain then thats probably what happens ,

reagrds

Dan

well i was fishin on a small natural outcrop of rocks,

few rocks yes and a few mangroves, indro has a nice stretch of mangroves which i think could hold some good fish but I havnt targetd anythigng there (just prawns and herring for bait).

Its a matter of habitat, I have never caught a estuary cod and even though he was a small one he was a ravenous little bugger and a good looking fish too.

also I was talkin to another guy who apparently fishes the rivers on and off and he landed a very big murowong around Tennyson last month.

I thought that was a good catch.

At Stradbroke there are always nice big schools of sea bream to be had off the rocks. There are usually a fair few silver trevs mixed in for good measure as well. This is what ill be doing a bit of over winter.

As the ocean is usually calmer at straddy over winter as well i want to take the yak a lot.

Angus

theres a landbased spot in the bris river that we always do really well for squire. best session last season got 7 between 3 of us in a session. went there last saturday for an early sessoin and got two 40 cm jews and 2 squire. when we head further into winter i reackon this spot is going to really fire.

oh ok thats sweet, 52cm squire thats bloody solid for landbased in the river :D, was it starting to develop a hump? :P. Sweet about the soapy jewwies to. Whats your favourite bait for them and have you ever tried plastics there?.

yea sorry 52 cm squire jacko.

best bait is tuna slabs, but just average prawns are just as good as they are scabby fish.

yea when i first found the spot i took troy down who is unreal at plastics fishing and he got one 16 cm one over 3 sesions while we managed almost a dozen all up so yea for some reason plastics are just rubbish there, not to mention all the snags.

its funny cause plastics are gun at the mouth. would use them over bait any day there.

its also only worth fishing like once a month when the tide times match up with the best time of the day to get them.

Archived