maroochydore beaches?

Buzz

Hi All

the woman's parents are staying in maroochydore for a month or two and we'll be off up there for a visit every weekend from what i have been told ;)

I've inherited what seems to be a old surf casting rod thingy (remember i'm a kiwi from the south) and also have some bog standard rods etc which we've been using to annoy the bass at north pine.

Is it worth having a crack from the beach - what should one expect to catch?

cheers Buzz

much better off around the mouth of the maroochy river than on the beaches. expect tailor around dawn and dusk and at night, the odd flathead, trevally and big sea bream in that mix as well. fish with whole pillies on 3 (or 4) gang 4/0's and a reasonable amount of lead as the tide quite often rips through there. the maroochy river around cotton tree fishes quite well for bream and flathead using flesh baits like fresh mullet fillet, also half a pillie on two ganged 1/0's or 2/0's. hope this helps a bit mate.

good luck!

benno

yes thanks benno

a couple of translations to English are required for this kiwi to make a little more sense of your suggestion:

what the heck does "3 (or 4) gang 4/0's"

and also presumably "two ganged 1/0's or 2/0's" is the same but less or whatever the first thing was?

I'm lacking some of the terminology :)

Buzz

3 ganged 4/0' - 4/0 is a hook size, you can gang them together to have 3 or 4 joined up, it depends on you bait size. you buy them with an open eye and then close it around another hook and so on until you get to 3 or 4. and you are correct about the other one - same principle, smaller hooks and fewer of them.

see pic. gang_2.jpg

sorry it's so small, couldn't find a decent sized one on google!

post-2244-144598461638_thumb.jpg

probably... :laugh: wouldn't have a clue! in the hints and tips bit there is a glossary though. might help a bit. the idea is the 3 or 4 hooks are incorporated into the one bait so the bait lies straight and "swims" through the water properly, not spinning etc. also greatly increases hook up rate on tailor owing to their method of feeding.

i know the pic is tragically small, save it on your computer and zoom in. ignore the bottom bit, that is just a sinker. shows how the fish should sit on the hooks anyway. [img size=107]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/ganged.jpg

post-2244-14459846164_thumb.jpg

Fish the mouth of the river right behind the caravan park, had plenty of heavy bust off's there last time I fished it.

Also just up abit towards town theres a small rock wall near a restaurant that over looks the river, fish it just after dark for loads of the usual river species.;)

Archived