yakking at gc canals 19/07/08

bretto

Had an eventful trip but came home with no decent fish but was one of the most exciting I have ever had.

Took 20 mins to drive out and was in the kayak and up in the canals at about 6.10am. It was a foggy morn and as it cleared I heard a few big splashes and headed over to the floating rope and saw heaps of mullet taking cover under it.

Tied on a river to sea Rover and first cast landed a small tailor of about 20cm. Next cast had a big swipe behing the lure but missed it :huh: paused for a while and gave it another jerk and big hit and then scorching run and then a 80cm queenie flies clear and throws the hooks :ohmy:

Went a bit quiet as the sun rose so I tied on a 10cm rapala skitter pop to try for one more big fish before the fish shut down. Second cast bloop bloop and a tail fin appears behind the lure about 1m back and follows the popper for about 10m and the dissapears so I pause then Bang. Huge strike for no hook up.

No more surface action after that so I started to work my way back fishing the pontoons and managed a 40ish squire only to lose it yakside as I was about to slip the bogas in after about an hours casting.

After this I called it quits but was an awesome session and I will be heading back there soon. :)

The top of the tail fin that was sticking out of the water was about 8cm high.

Brett

Archived