Outboard problem

Dimo

Hey all, Its been a while since I used my boat as been very busy :( . Now I started it up today so all runs well for my trip tomorrow. I let the outboard run for about 4 min and no water was comming out the spout, not sure what its called. Should I leave it run Longer ? or can it be that The impellar has had it ? Now this has depressed me as I was looking foward to my hard earned fishing trip and I cant go now:(.

could be a few things m8, but lets look at the best posisble senario first:

if u werent runnign it with tap water (eg. out of a tank or a bucket well system) then it could be sum gunk int he hoel where the wter comes out

clean it out with a bit of wire or sumthing, u cant really break anythign so if a bug has made a nest give it a gud poke to get it out.

main think is if u cant see any water then dont run it at all- it will over heat and cost u a fortune!

but yer, could be as u said (probabaly most likely, sorry m8, unless u have a lot of mud dabber wasps around)

in which case if u get up eraly enough and run down to a marine shop u might get out onto the water in time for an enjoyable day!

gud luck m8, i hope i see u out there on the big blue!

- Wiseguy!

EDIT: forgot to mention- not to get ur hopes up but u might be in luck- when the impeller goes u can small the burning rubber- even if u only run the engine for 10 seconds. if u didnt smell anythign then give it a poke- then whack off the gearbox, grab the impeller and serial number of the engine, run down to a outboard mech/ dealer and pick urslef up a new impeller and hit the water smiling.

good luck again mate.:woohoo:

yeah either impellor or the water pisser...both are very likely scenarios.

check the water pisser first as its easiest...there is a hose inside your cowl that leads to the pisser outlet..suck on that and you'll no if she's blocked..if thats ok then check the plastic mesh stuff at the bottom of the motor near the propellor..pull them off and check that they arnt blocked some how....if thats all good then its definately the impellor.

Even if your 'pisser tube' is blocked you should still see plenty of water coming out from the exhaust points in the prop and above the gearbox housing. The 'pisser tube' or tell tale is exactly that, just there to tell you that you have a good flow of water.

If you notice less than normal water out of the other exit points then yep, its new impeller time.

if its ur impeller then dude do it urself...

itll save ya a whole service at the mechanics and its as easy as 8 bolts!

im sure u could probably find a thread round here with good instruction on how to do it if ur clueless... if not google it...

do it urslef itll cost 50 bux

sum1 else ur lookign at minimum 150 bux...

for everything else,

there's master card...

gud luck m8,

-Wiseguy

Archived