Time for a Quality Electric.

Feral

Well I killed my third elcheapo electric in under a year at Baroon the bother day, so I figure its time to bite the bullet and buy a quality motor.

Cant find anyone local who advertises motorguide prices on the net, so it looks like a kotta is on the cards. Whitworths advertise similar prices to Mo Tackle, so looking strongly their way.

Just have to make up my mind if the maximizer is worth the extra $300!

Its around $650 for a standard 54lb riptide, or about $950 for the maximizer 54lb riptide.

Anyone use the maximizer model, is it worth the extra bucks?

Boat show coming up soon should get better prices there also whitworths do not normally have a stand but have a 10 or 15% off sale on the weekend. In theory the maximisers are more efficient but when I replaced an enduro with a maximiser model I didnt notice any difference.

What happened to the watersnake? burn out? bearings or just stop?

Cheers

Ray

drove in to weed with motor at full speed without noticing whilst trying to reach over the side and strangle youngest son who was pushing my boat with his. By the time I had woken up what was going on, the watersnake was as dead as a maggot, and stunk. So yeah - burnt out.

I've got a 55lb Minn Kota bow mount with an auto pilot - best thing I ever bought for fishing. I can't tell you whether the maximiser is worth the xtra money but I can tell you the auto pilot is worth it's weight in gold - the head has an internal compass that keeps it pointing in the right direction (fantastic in the wind!).

everyone I know, including me, who has a kota has had a problem with it (either faulty foot pedal or auto pilot) but these problems have all surfaced in the first 2 years and well within the 3 year warranty period. BLA do all the warranty repairs and their customer service is brilliant - and you can drop the unit off at their office in Brisbane (Hemmant).

marty

• 2 weeks later...

chubbstar wrote:

Did Stinger end up selling he's motor? That looked allright:huh:

It was a while ago, but he might still have it?

Jayson

Yeh sold my Motor Guide. It was a great motor and I had no complaints about it.

Only changed to a Minnkota for the auto pilot so I could use it while trolling.

Having now used the MinnKota I have got to admit besides the auto pilot and a bit of difference in the hand controller there is not much else that stands out and considering the Minnkota 55lb that I have retails for around $2100 compared to the 55lb Motor Guide for around $1500 complete.

It all comes down to what you actually want.

Ok, got my self a Minkotta 55 Riptide with Maximiser today for $830. Went along with Ray when he was buying his Hydraulic steering, so we could get a better price buying them together.

Its interesting, all the companies Ray spoke to at the boat show would not go below $900.

Whitworths has 15% off today and tomorrow on floor stock, which meant if they had one, about $835. (which they didn't)

Leisure marine were advertising them for $850 in the latest Bush and Beach, and were happy to beat Whitworths "on special" price.

As it was helping Ray get a better price on his Hydraulic steering, I was more than happy to drive down to Capalaba. (I work in the city).

So to the bloke from Bias at the boat show who told Ray we should buy elsewhere if $900 was not good enough - thanks for the advice, saved myself $70!

Archived