gold coast - spit - 25.11.06

novrain

took a couple of mates fishing yesterday at the coast...just wanted a day at the beach and it turned out pretty well..

was pretty crowded when we got to the spit but we found our spot and settled in. angus's yabby pump was busted so we had to use peeled prawns... we did bring the pump to the tackle shop to replace the washers and tubing though.

got lots of hits and landed heaps of fish but not big ones.... had like 2 palm sized flounders within the first 10 minutes.. 10 slightly bigger then palm sized whiting within half hour.... and the occasional appearance by the bream...all caught mostly on yabbies and peeled prawns.

tried plastics but no hit.

all in all we caught say 30 odd fish and all released except some whiting that died...

fren of mine also snagged this huge pelican!. it was flying past and it caught his line... totally spooled my reel and snapped off...

was a good day except for my reels which took a bashing.. the reels were dropped all over the place in the sand and i had to clean it up this morning ...

tried taking apart my reel and it fell apart and now i can't put it back together..the bail arm is now loose as hell and its the same reel i wanted to use for the brisbane classic..

i've posted an 'SOS' in the tackle section so if someone can help me, it'll be good else im screwed for the classic.

anyway it was always good to see newbies catching fish .. now they wanna go next week again! but we'll have to see..

cheers..

merv

Mate, go down to your local tackle shop and buy a few \"loaners\" something like the shimano 2500R's worth about $20 each, and a good little reel.

I would even go as far as buying a couple of cheap $30 combo's so that everything they use is sacrifical. I've got about 4 or 5 such sets of gear, all the original combo's I bought my kids when I was not sure they would like fishing or not.

Archived