Gold Creek Reservoir - 3rd October 2008

mangler

Well it's been on my mind to go fishing there for a while now, and Bogan's post the other day inspired me to give it a go.

Was a very rushed trip though, got held up at work & also had to do some business at the shops first, so didn't get there at 2 like I had anticipated. Arrived at 4 and had to leave at 5 to get to the city by 5.20.

Anyway, for those who are interested, it's 15km from Indooroopilly shopping centre to give you a bit of an idea how far away it is.

Upon arriving there, one of the first things I noticed was that the area was very clean :cheer: , no empty stubbies, lure packets, bait bags, line tangles & other unmentionables that you find at other dams :( . The only rubbish I seen was an empty soft drink can & cigarette pack, (which are now in the bin). There was also a bit of graffiti on the concrete spillway, but you've got to expect that! Also there was no mention of no fishing or no access etc. Gates are locked to vehicles but there is a sign with a bit of history on the area and maps of walking tracks, so I guess that means you are allowed in the area :) .

Now for the fishing. I went armed with 2 hand reels and a light eggbeater outfit. First time I've used bait in the fresh in a while! First handline went in with a bit of steak on it, straight to the bottom to be eaten by eels. Then the second one went in, a bit of bread about 40cm under a float.

Now time to start luring, first up tried a Deception Palaemon , no luck on it. Then on went a Tropic Angler Shad Rattler a couple of casts with it & felt a little bump, probably just a spangly trying to mate with it, or a turtle headbutting it...

In the meantime, the line with the steak went for a bit of a wander, but whatever it was sent most the steak back to the chef & said he preferred well done, not rare.

Then tied on the third lure for the day, a 7 gram Tassie Devil in black & white, no luck on it either.

So checked the bread, it had been nibbled on by something small. Then it was time to pack up & go.

So no luck, but didn't really expect much in the 40 odd minutes I was there either.

The water was very clear & I did see couple of turtles and a small eel swim by. Also seen what I thought was an eel swim up to my feet & pop his head out, then he poked his forky tongue out and said g'day, then turned around & swam off again, was a small (about 2 foot) black snake, couldn't get the camera out in time but :(

So that was my experience at Gold Creek Reservoir, would have been better if I wasn't so rushed. My verdict - it has potential, would love to round up a crew one day & give it a proper nudge.

Next stop - Lake Manchester!

Cheers,

Matt

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC03883_AFO.jpg

Pic of the dam from the wall.

post-2878-144598474345_thumb.jpg

Archived