Double Island adventure 4

Confused

Well another great trip away this time i was in my 92 landcruiser and what a diffrence from the 88, In just 4 years its like holden to a ferrari. Or i was impressed anyway. Plenty of massive bream caught i'm taking a brag mat next time. landed around 50 bream/tarwhine about 10 were 40cm+ some 60+ dart and a few nice whiting,

On saturday night around the small high tide 1.6m the gutter we were fishing in had approx 500mm of water and the action was just amazing if you were not on in the first 20 seconds well you lost your bait when it hit the water. This continued for around 1 hour or 2 . one cast i was just palming the alvey for aroud 10 mins then snap my leader gave way. In all the years ive fished gutters this was by far a massive fish my guess jewie in excess of 10kg :( :( :angry: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/PA030055.jpg

post-954-14459847487_thumb.jpg

benno573 wrote:

some great fish there mate! was there any structure in the gutter or just sandy? could also have been a permit or an XOS tailor!

there was a real nice low tide gutter with plenty of rock in it which we got alot of bream from, but the smoker was just in a standard little hole on a 1/0 longshank packed with a fresh worm, i'm not to sure if a tailor would ??

hmmm... the one that got away mate. it can be whatever you want it to be! when jeff and i were tailor fishing up there on the rainbow trip we saw about a 10ft shark come cruising over the back bank of the gutter we were fishing. needless to say we both decided we had enough fish and left the water asap - could have been something like that. i'll get him next time mate.. :laugh:

BTW when i was down there worming by myself and lucky to be i had only managed to gather 40 or so pipies cause of the run in tide on arrival, It was the first time i'd ever seen fisheries pull up and ask to look at my catch, To say the least he gave me a new queensland size and bag limit pamhlette to which i noticed that coral reef fin fish all snapper 25cm ??? then it went on to say firefin 38 and a few others but can anyone confirm? just your standard run of the mill snapp from say moreton 25 cm ??? are they frigging joking

snapper 35cm minimum, bag limit 5 mate. i know all wrasse have a 25cm limit with exception of tuskfish. :dry: weird hey? never been checked by DPI guys up there i must admit - kinda good to see though, have seen many people up there obvioulsy collecting pippies to sell and taking huge amounts of them.

i agree i even said to him why ive never seen him or others here before, he replied funding mate. All i could say is it's a shame they are not more prevelant. And i was lucky only to get 40 pips 50 is limit and i was on my own with another 3 fishos i normally if possible would of grabbed 200, which would still be under the bag,

Confused wrote:

benno573 wrote:
i have hooked them on pippies in close before. could well have been a jewie, a shark or a permit mate. all possible! but i guess we'll never know... ;)

Permit ? Do explain :)

permits otherwise known as a snub-nosed dart in these here parts - quite the elusive target from what i know..

they are big, fast and go hard! only ever caught two in my life time, biggest was 6kg-ish. best bait is a whole pippie that has been prised open and then allowed to close on your hook. permit have jaws designed for crushing them up. they pull every bit as hard as dart but grow huge! will see if i can find a piccie.

oh yeah cause i know em as oyster crackers my dad and i got a few from the rocks at point lookout about 10 years ago, and there's a pic of 1 in Queensland fishing monthly last edition from fraser, It may well could of been 1 of those, however i'm told they swim in schools of 20-40 and completly demolish everthing in the gutters than move on we had other baits in the water at the time, But i can only dream!!! A snub nose would be a prize and a half

Sounds like a session to remember confused.

Does the DPI&F booklet thing have a print date ? If it does have a current one then maybe someone should point out that wrong squire size info.

Funnily enough when we did the Rainbow trip we witnessed a bloke launching his boat that almost ended up looking the same as that Hyundai:laugh:

ellicat wrote:

Sounds like a session to remember confused.

Does the DPI&F booklet thing have a print date ? If it does have a current one then maybe someone should point out that wrong squire size info.

Funnily enough when we did the Rainbow trip we witnessed a bloke launching his boat that almost ended up looking the same as that Hyundai:laugh:

god that was funny hey.. i mean we could have helped and all... but there is just no helpig Dickheads hey. :laugh: :laugh:

Archived