your thoughts!

noname

i don't want to sound like a broken record, just interested, myself i think the powers that be put more of a restriction on pro fishermen, i have been on a few pro trips but not anymore, no way..the way i see it now is like going for a trip and KILLING as many fish as you possibly can, the last trip i did, i got a real bad case of the guilts, so i stopped fishing for the boat. as i was watching some of the fish on the deck of the boat, i felt like a right bastard, i really did.i will never do any more trips like that in my life i can tell you that right here, right now. i know of recro's that go out to catch very good qualit fish, by this i mean they will start at their bag limits and up size throwing over the less impressive fish. and that can't be a good thing. i could go on for ages, prob bored you enough.

cheers rob

I think the point he was getting at was some guys catch their 5 snapper (just an example) and chuck them in ice once they get them, but keep fishing. Once they get a bigger size they chuck out the little fellas and only have the bigger boys.

I guess legally there's nothing wrong with it since they remain within the 5 possession limit. However unlike bass/bream tournos, they aren't kept in a live tank so a small fella going back = a dead fish.

Bit of a waste really.

namyau wrote:

that just sucks, if ive gone on a session and gotten a good fish kept it (ie its dead now) and then half hr later get a bigger better one i let it go. some ppl just dont have an morals
i used to go fishing for my bag limits, eg. snapper, pearlies, parrot, and the like and i would not come in unless i did have bag limits on most fish, nomatter what the conditions,but NOW i fish a lot more conservative, i will think of what i am doing, maybe like all the ppl that used to go killing sharks, but now educating and preserving them to a degree.. and yep i agree with you, i now do the same as you

ive never caught my bag limits and on a lot of occasions fishing late at night id go home with a box of krispy kremes instead hehehe. i get a lot of pressure from my family (being chinese) to keep fish but they just do see it like a lot of fishermen and myself do. Fishing to me is firstly for fun, to have some time away from family & gf and if im lucky catch some nice fish

threadybuster wrote:

i thought the pros could take as much as they wont as long as its legal? correct me if im wrong but lol
you've been mislead there, they have a quota, eg 1 boat and 1 tender both have the capacity to hold 1500 kilo of fish, and what if these pro's have day jobs, and they are nowhere near their quota, with those ice box's stacked with fish, not just thrown in..

pro's pay the bills i guess.. and get the go ahead to keep it on going with their renewed licences.. when nitris is PM we'll change that for sure

in hervey bay as a kid we used to go jagging, and it was fun as hell at the time..catching things like that.. be it rays, or the ever abundant mullet.. slowly i saw things i hated seeing tho..watched a hervey bay yokel dispatch several baby sharks with a tomahawk he had on the pier, for no reason other than they took his bait.. same with mac tuna.. catfish.. green sea toads.. gaffed and killed regardless of them being needed.. gotta get that hook back.. and as they were as thick as thieves, dead tuna were a common thing.. then came guilt.. especially for the jagging..

hmmm… it's a tough one hey. If we get rid of the local pro's, we have very few options other than imported frozen fish at the shops, whether from overseas or interstate. Very few pro line fishos in SE qld are able to live off fishing alone, because of reduced quotas and alike. They are also currently reviewing the licencing of pro fishos in SE qld (see article in either QFM or BnB last month, can't remember which). so - do we take all the local fish out of the shops and buy back all the licences and make it a recreational fisher's only? if we do this how many shonkie rec anglers will then sell their catch (no names mentioned here of course... :angry:)? do we increase the quotas but half the licences so people can make a decent living out of it? i dunno.. where's PM nitris when you need him? or should we just ask senator bob brown... his views on topics like these are always well founded and completely rational.

either people stop eating fish or this is defintely the way its headed.. regardless of the studies towards sustainablity.. didnt a few fish farm proposals for moreton bay get canned? which is a shame.. with a bit of thought thats the way it could go.. much better than the dodgy brothers over there in asia without the same regulations into what goes into the growth of their fish..

i always felt that if salt levels rising in cleared farmlands stopped regular farming, why not dig huge holes and farm salt water fish? i'm sure its being done in a form like that somewhere, but not on a scale large enough to be a power.. nor in the right areas

benno573 wrote:

hmmm… it's a tough one hey. If we get rid of the local pro's, we have very few options other than imported frozen fish at the shops, whether from overseas or interstate. Very few pro line fishos in SE qld are able to live off fishing alone, because of reduced quotas and alike. They are also currently reviewing the licencing of pro fishos in SE qld (see article in either QFM or BnB last month, can't remember which). so - do we take all the local fish out of the shops and buy back all the licences and make it a recreational fisher's only? if we do this how many shonkie rec anglers will then sell their catch (no names mentioned here of course... :angry:)? do we increase the quotas but half the licences so people can make a decent living out of it? i dunno.. where's PM nitris when you need him? or should we just ask senator bob brown... his views on topics like these are always well founded and completely rational.
yeah it is a tough call, i'm sure more comments will arise, it's interesting to get peoples thoughts on these sort of matters

fonz - moreton bay is not a great place for a fish farm owing to the huge amounts of nutrients they output. this has a flow on effect to things like algal blooms etc owing to our sub-tropical climate. you need a place with excellent tidal flow for a fish farm to work up here. down south is not such a massive issue.

also - regarding farmland. the idea has been put out there to farm prawns and alike in areas out woop woop that are being salt-y-ised. i think the basic problem was two fold - set up cost and a lack of water to fill the big holes in the ground. also i think the huge temperature variations they receive out there would have a devestating effect on shallow water ponds.

something does have to be done though, not trying to shoot you down, ideas are good things! i like the one about people stop buying fish... more for us to catch!

nah benno shoot away! forums are the place for it!

the bay thing is interesting..that makes total sense.. the mobile tuna farms down south seem to be an excellent way.. no doubt once thought of as unrealistic.. qld has always seemed to hold itself back with some ideas that could be worked.. food for thought really

yeah, it is interesting. you could definately put the farms offshore somewhere where the ocean currents disperse the nutrients sufficiently, but as you say, QLD has always been backwards in coming forwards about meaningful topics. things like green zones though, more than happy to push those through. ironic really that labor are now going to lose the greens preferences anyway.

and it literally is food for thought - ya geddit mate? :laugh:

i know the farming idea was shut down because the opperators were thinking neg,eg people fishing them, divers getting into the nets, and sharks, it sounded like a cop out back them and still does as far as i'm concerned, these farms were to be placed just off moreton island near lucinda bay, as these were to be farmed snapper, who could blame them for thinking that.. on a dark stormy night hummm..:dry: :unsure:

Yeh it is a sad time... but realy how many of u guys buy fresh fish to eat? i love eating fish but dont eat it all the time and hardly ever buy it.. Dont get me wrong i love prawns too, umm prawns probably the only thing i wil buy.. other fish i wil buy to eat would be salmon ( the red meat one ). There is not many things more satisifying then eating your own catch...

All in all its just like the cotton growers down near the murry. My dad grew cotton, and his dad and his before him, so i grow cotton.. Umm cotton uses way too much water to produce and is not that strong.. we Should be growing other crops for clothes like HEMP. More uses if u ask me too. Also stronger and uses way less water. Dont even have to flood ur fields to get it happening. And now the Murry river is a pice of crap.

Guess im saying that the pro fishers are fishing as thier father did and his b4 him and so on..

First when im PM wil be changing that law about pro fishers.. and with my wednesday off to go fishing we wil have more fish to catch ( no profishers taking em all) and will have a day to actually get fish for ourselves.

Second point of call i wil change the name 'PM' to "BIG CHIEF" got a better ring to it. also my other positions are up for grabs for who wants them. ie CHIEF of fisheries, CHIEF of defense, etc. :silly:

Just going back to fonz`s early question,re will limits apply to charters,I`ve just read page1 of Oct B&B,on snapper seasonal closures,they talk about they would be looking at it for all,pro,rec and charters.As sure as the sun rises in the east,if they look at that for snapper,they`ll look at it for all reef species.

Another questioning how they come up with their stated facts,data,it`s all Taurus CRAPPUS,feed to the gullible.

If they played on a level field,and worked with interest groups,there would be sustainable solutions found,unfortunately they only seem to cater for vested interest groups and pie in the sky assumptions.

Archived