Places to fish in noosa

badboygibbo

Family might be heading to noosa soon and it is my job to take one of my mates out fishing around there. I have never been there so any advice on where to go would be very helpful. I will probably be throwing some soft plastics and HBs around while also having a rod with bait out along with my mate who will be using bait. What fish would i encounter there and what bait should i buy??

Paul

Munna Point and Munna Point bridge are good areas to fish if you have young ones with you. Around the bridge you will get trevally, flathead, bream, whiting, jacks and tarpon - it's a great area that fishes well at dawn and dusk!! Have live prawns or poppers and fish them hard, they will find it hard to resist!!

Munna Point, which is where the caravan park is, has a larger beach area to fish from and is usually good for whiting, bream and flathead. From this little beach, if you have a look to the left where the road basically stops just before the water, you will see a nice little rock wall - this is good for cod and jacks!! You'll be surprised at the size of some of the fish I've managed to get out of this wall!! :)

Hastings Street is "THE" place in Noosa. When you drive up to Hastings Street, you will arrive at a round-a-bout. Turn left and follow this till you hit another round-a-bout and take the first exit off. Turn left at the 2nd little road and you will come to a small car park that has toilets at the front of it. Park in this car park(don't try and park in the toilets!!) and you will see a small sand path at the end of the car park. Follow this and it will lead you to Woods Bays(only a 20 metre walk or so!!).

This area is INCREDIBLE! I LOVE fishing here!! On the left you can walk around to the rock wall that you can access by parking at the first turn left when you exit the round-a-bout but it's VERY rocky and you will lose a lot of gear - but the jacks and cod that hang out around that rock wall are very impressive for a local river system!! Bigger trevally seem to hang out around this area as well - I'm not sure why!! Anyway back to the area you walk out to from the little sandy path...

Directly ahead of you from the path is an awesome area for flathead, bream and whiting. It's a nice sandy area for people who want to take their family. What you'll also notice is a massive sand spit on your right. You can walk around to that area by walking along the beach and this will lead you to a bit of a sandy path you can follow around to that spit and you can catch trevally as well as all the additional species I mentioned before. You can also catch sharks here, but I've never targetted or seen any, just the results from them feeding on a school of small trevally!! Very nasty!!

I've fished both sides of the spit but on the right of this spit is some fairly deep water that is easy fishing and you'll see schools of undersize fish hanging out in here!! At dawn and dusk you'll be able to follow the boiling schools of feeding trevally as they swim up and down and around the Woods bay area. Sandflies are a real pain at dawn and dusk so take repellant with you!! You've been warned!! :)

It can take some patience to fish this area but rarely have I gone here and the area not deliver for me. I've only used hard bodied lures and live prawns, live yabbies and live worms and I've had great results on all. If I was to suggest something to you, it would be to get an aerator and a large bucket to keep the bait live and fresh. You can also cast net this area and you will get good sized mullet. Ohhh and take some raider metal slugs with you as well - I've used them and they have worked too!!

Instead of turning into the 2nd car park you can also follow the road to the river mouth where the Noosa bar is and you can fish from the rocks or the small sandy beach for flathead, bream and whiting. Trevally are also here but I think it's harder to target them in this area, but in saying that it is still an awesome place to fish especially at dawn and dusk, the sunrises and sunsets are amazing!!

Good luck and I hope you have as great a time there as I always do when I'm there!! If you have any questions about any of this, feel free to send me a PM or ask away in here!! Sorry for the long post but it's one hell of an area and takes some explaining!!

Shorty :)

Shortie sensations site report

Shorty wrote:

Munna Point and Munna Point bridge are good areas to fish if you have young ones with you. Around the bridge you will get trevally, flathead, bream, whiting, jacks and tarpon - it's a great area that fishes well at dawn and dusk!! Have live prawns or poppers and fish them hard, they will find it hard to resist!!

Munna Point, which is where the caravan park is, has a larger beach area to fish from and is usually good for whiting, bream and flathead. From this little beach, if you have a look to the left where the road basically stops just before the water, you will see a nice little rock wall - this is good for cod and jacks!! You'll be surprised at the size of some of the fish I've managed to get out of this wall!! :)

Hastings Street is "THE" place in Noosa. When you drive up to Hastings Street, you will arrive at a round-a-bout. Turn left and follow this till you hit another round-a-bout and take the first exit off. Turn left at the 2nd little road and you will come to a small car park that has toilets at the front of it. Park in this car park(don't try and park in the toilets!!) and you will see a small sand path at the end of the car park. Follow this and it will lead you to Woods Bays(only a 20 metre walk or so!!).

This area is INCREDIBLE! I LOVE fishing here!! On the left you can walk around to the rock wall that you can access by parking at the first turn left when you exit the round-a-bout but it's VERY rocky and you will lose a lot of gear - but the jacks and cod that hang out around that rock wall are very impressive for a local river system!! Bigger trevally seem to hang out around this area as well - I'm not sure why!! Anyway back to the area you walk out to from the little sandy path...

Directly ahead of you from the path is an awesome area for flathead, bream and whiting. It's a nice sandy area for people who want to take their family. What you'll also notice is a massive sand spit on your right. You can walk around to that area by walking along the beach and this will lead you to a bit of a sandy path you can follow around to that spit and you can catch trevally as well as all the additional species I mentioned before. You can also catch sharks here, but I've never targetted or seen any, just the results from them feeding on a school of small trevally!! Very nasty!!

I've fished both sides of the spit but on the right of this spit is some fairly deep water that is easy fishing and you'll see schools of undersize fish hanging out in here!! At dawn and dusk you'll be able to follow the boiling schools of feeding trevally as they swim up and down and around the Woods bay area. Sandflies are a real pain at dawn and dusk so take repellant with you!! You've been warned!! :)

It can take some patience to fish this area but rarely have I gone here and the area not deliver for me. I've only used hard bodied lures and live prawns, live yabbies and live worms and I've had great results on all. If I was to suggest something to you, it would be to get an aerator and a large bucket to keep the bait live and fresh. You can also cast net this area and you will get good sized mullet. Ohhh and take some raider metal slugs with you as well - I've used them and they have worked too!!

Instead of turning into the 2nd car park you can also follow the road to the river mouth where the Noosa bar is and you can fish from the rocks or the small sandy beach for flathead, bream and whiting. Trevally are also here but I think it's harder to target them in this area, but in saying that it is still an awesome place to fish especially at dawn and dusk, the sunrises and sunsets are amazing!!

Good luck and I hope you have as great a time there as I always do when I'm there!! If you have any questions about any of this, feel free to send me a PM or ask away in here!! Sorry for the long post but it's one hell of an area and takes some explaining!!

No worries at all guys, I'm happy to help!!

I've actually been thinking of organising a trip up there and was going to open it up to the forum to see if we can get a few of us up there to hit the place as a group but I've not run the idea passed the mods yet to see if that's fine or not as I don't want to clash with anything they have coming up!!

I'm on holidays for the next couple of weeks so I'm hoping to get up there during that time!!

I'll start up another thread though when I can get myself organised and hopefully there will be a few that can make it!!

Thanks alot for youre help Shorty and others. The one species i want to catch is a good flathead because i have only ever caught one and i'm addicted:lol:

would you reckon soft plastics or hardbodies??

I am having a look on google earth for the hastings street place and i think i know where you are talking aboout but im not 100% sure. Is it through all of the foresty terrain and to near the mouth of the river?? or am i wrong:unsure:

If a very kind person understands where this place is could you please post a pic of the areas?

Thanks alot

Paul

Hi Paul,

There is only one way to get to Hastings Street. Yes it will be in amongst the trees etc.. because if you turn right at the round-a-bout that you come to when you hit Hastings Street, you go to the National Park that is awesome fishing for mackrel, tuna and nice big sharks!! It has a great walk out to Hells Gates too - well worth the effort on a hot summers day!!

:)

If you come from Noosaville, you will go over the Munna Point bridge and then you will go over a 2nd bridge and will come to a round-a-bout. If you go straight ahead you will come to another round-a-bout and you will turn left here and will come to the round-a-bout on Hastings Street. There is only 1 road going from Noosaville to Noosa, so you won't get lost as long as you stay on this road till you hit the 2nd round-a-bout!!

It sounds a lot more complicated then it really is. I'd have a look in an old fashioned refidex and you'll quickly pick it all up. Or even check out whereis.com.au It won't have the physical detail like google maps does, but you will be able to piece it all together and it will make more sense to you and then you can compare it to google maps!!

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions, ask away...!!

A1 report Shorty,

just adding that Weyba creek is a top spot for those with yaks.Put in at beach beside Coast Guard Munna Point and check out down to Lake Weyba,plenty of spots,structure,bridges,jetties..mangrove jack,cod flatties, trevally,bream almost forgot muddies.

You can access a foot bridge off the Weyba/Noosa road near Afl grounds,couple of pots/dillies under here go ok.

Great areas around Noosa and we haven`t touched Tewantin or the lakes areas,or Bass country yet

Cheers

Ok i think i got it now, the round about on hastings street is the one just opposite the sea with a car park infront. I turn left there and over the next round about into the foresty place. How far up this road is the calmer place where i'd catch the estaury species? Is it the first carpark on the left? I wouldnt want to go to the snaggy place as my mate isnt very experienced and i suppose he just wants to catch a nice fish. I think there is a chance that i could be there for about 10 hours from about 1 pm - 11 at night. Is there anything to expect around there fishing wise and also not very nice people:lol: ??

Thanks again

Paul

As you drive along the path, you will see a toilet block and just past it you will see a car park. This car park is where you want to park and it's only a short stroll through to the water. I often fish without any sinkers, especially when using live bait so the rocks weren't much of an issue for me, but for someone new it might be a bit of a pain if you have to keep on tying on hooks!!

Night time here is the same as everywhere else. You do get groups of people out here especially on weekends and people do sleep in these car parks of a night time(this car park has an outdoor shower that is permanantly there that a lot of people use!!) I can't imagine there being any problems as most people there are pretty friendly but you never know.

After the sun has set, what I usually do is head back to the car park and move to the Munna Point bridge. There is heaps of lighting around the bridge and this makes for much more comfortable fishing when you can easily see what you are doing. The Munna Point bridge can produce good fish of a night time - especially if you have live mullet or live prawns. You can also cast net around here and pick up some more live bait and some serious prawns too!!

Lots of good sized stingrays hang out here as well - so they will test you out if nothing else is happening!! Seriously, for a local river system, there are some really good fish that come out of it on a regular basis.

Something else I also meant to mention - check out this website - www.fishingnoosa.com.au There are weekly reports at this site and it has a lot of information. They even have the history of the weekly reports so you can check back to last year around the time you are looking to head up there to see what was biting and where at the time - it may not always been relevant but it can give you a good heads up as to what to expect!

Also, when you are up there, spend some time at Davo's and ask lots of questions of the staff. I've always found them helpful and willing to come forward with advice and tips on where to head.

Most of all, enjoy the trip and I'll guarantee that you'll be keen to get back up there as often as you can!!

If you park at the National Park you can go for a short walk and you will see Dolphin Cove I think it's called. It looks to be the kind of area you are describing so I'd go and hit it up.

To get to the National Park, turn right at the round-a-bout at Hastings street and follow it to the end and it comes to the National Park. Get there early though as it gets packed quickly, especially on weekends and school holidays. Start taking the walk out to Hells Gates and you will see the cove I'm talking about and you can basically just walk off the path to the beach at Dolphin Cove.

From memory, and it's been a while since I've been there, there are a number of different little coves you can explore and snorkel around and I'd imagine that any of them would be fun to check out and explore!!

Hope this helps!!

Sorry to jump in on you again Shorty.

It`s dolphin Point,it`s the rocky point between Tea Tree Bay and Granite Bay.

First out of the car park is the Boiling Pot,then Tea tree Bay,then the Stair-ways,then your on the Point next,further along you have the Fairy Pools.all around that area you have good stuff,But only snorkel it on calm days!

cheers

Ps Edit

Tea Tree Bay would be the one your talking about Shorty

Ahh perfect response again! lol

Wont be able to go to tewantin stretch as im only taking my lil corolla.

I herd those other places are fun for a fish to, guess I'll be taking my rod down to see if i can get something on slugs :)

Thanks everyone, This would save me alot of exploring time and make my trip (and others) alot more enjoyable!

Hi Chafule,

matey Tewantin is just a suburb,where the ferry goes from to get to North Shore,It goes Noosa Heads,The Sound, Munna Point/Noosaville,Tewantin.You can vitually drive the length of this stretch with the river in sight,most of the time,all sealed.

When you go up have a drive a round,15-20 mins from one end to the other,plenty of park area where you can swim,fish,bbq,picnic

cheers

Gad wrote:

Sorry to jump in on you again Shorty.

It`s dolphin Point,it`s the rocky point between Tea Tree Bay and Granite Bay.

First out of the car park is the Boiling Pot,then Tea tree Bay,then the Stair-ways,then your on the Point next,further along you have the Fairy Pools.all around that area you have good stuff,But only snorkel it on calm days!

cheers

Ps Edit

Tea Tree Bay would be the one your talking about Shorty

Ahhhh ok cool no worries at all - I'm more then happy to be corrected and I'm sure others will learn from the additional information you've posted - and that's what it's all about!!

webbfunk wrote:

Probably going there for the day tomorrow.

Where's the best place to get some yabbies?

The little spit near woods bay looked alright last time I was there, as long as its low tide.

Yup that's where you get them from!!

You shouldn't have any trouble getting any from there!!

Good luck and let us know how you go!!

Archived