Straddie 4/12/08 - 8/12/08

Dano

Back at work now after a well earned 4 day break at straddie

I fished Flinders beach / Cylinder headland each morning with no luck what so ever casting our frogmouth pillies on gangs

But Amity Jetty each night went off!!!!

On the Friday night I didn't get anything to speak of few small bream / squire but there was a Samoan bloke there hauling in Tailor one after another

There was a school of bait fish coming in close to the jetty every few min and the Tailor were going nuts jumping out of the water and smashing them

He was using 3" metal slice and sending it out past the frenzied fish and then retrieving as fast as possible through the middle and hooking up each time

There were a few dolphins there too that would chase the hooked Tailor as they fought to free them selves from the hooks

Any way to cut a long story short I returned on Saturday and Sunday night with a Surcatch Slice ($3.95 at the Amity general store) and managed to have the best fishing experience of my lifetime B)

Hooking up on countless Tailor and fighting them up onto the jetty and away from the hungry Dolphins!

The biggest hurdle was getting the bastards out of the water as they were managing to spit the hooks on me when i was getting them out of the water. I did meet a really nice bloke that was fishing with his sons and the kids were happy to lend a hand and the use of their net and that made things a bunch easier

The only real dampener on the weekend was a broke the tip off my new rod :( I shut it in the door of the car on the way home and now its an inch shorter. Does anyone on this site do rod repairs? I have seen the kits you can buy but im just not confident to DIY and it is a really nice rod (7’ Strudwick Sicstik Squidgy Soft Plastic)

All in all a good time was had and plenty of beer was consumed

Sucks to be back in the real world

Cheers,

Dan

i know what you mean, a friend of mine sank his new ski boat on the way back from moreton a few years ago, a spankers lewis tournament worth over 50 on it's 2nd outing, hired a helicopter to try and find it,but to ne avail, currents have taken it somewhere, and glad i wasn't there, the helicopter ride was fun though.

Ouch that burns the lewis boats are pure works of art I hope it was insured! I have ventured out to Slipping Sands from the logan a couple of times but it can be a little hairy if it blows up in the arvo or you have to contend with anything 30'+ putting out a small swell ensures you well and truely drenched and it wouldnt take too much to see it sleeping with the fishes...

Mine is a Probe Built by Custom Ski Boats Centermount 351 etc. Sits really low in the water.

Archived