colleges test paddle

paul10

Went to colleges this morning 7:30 for a test paddle in my new Yak with my 2 boys. River was a bit muddy but not a lot of debri in it so decided to troll while going up river to follow the incoming tide. Had a bright looking lure about 55mm that seemed to look like it would do the job. What would I know anyway? First time paddling and first time trolling but what do you know after about 20 mins we landed a 24cm cattie.:woohoo: Not very big but first for the new yak. Here's a picture of the lure because I forgot to take one of the fish.:blink: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_0545.jpg

post-4091-144598480726_thumb.jpg

After about 40 mins the boys were hungry so we stopped for a feed and I decided to change over to trolling a SX40. Just remembered that it had been mentioned here to use neutral colours in murky water so that's why I picked it. After starting out again we went only another 10 mins before we were on again.

This time we pulled in this 22cm Bream. Those SX40's sure do get them in. Let him go and 5 mins more last Bream for the morning but only 14cm.

The boys had a great time and so did I.

Thanks for reading.

Paul [img size=333]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_0541.jpg

post-4091-144598480729_thumb.jpg

nice work mate.

good to see that you took your kids out aswell, the more young anglers the better. they are the future.

too bad the fish were undersize but still even at that small flatties and bream fight hard.

yaks are always good fun to get into those snag areas.

good report,

Dave

nice work paul glad to hear you got a few mate, thats not a bad size bream for there either if you want to waste a few hours and get some bait at the same time you can get heaps of mullet and gar there on bread hit pretty quickly too can be good fun while havin a couple of beers

what part did you fish paul? i have only done it from the bank and chucked some bread crumbs in and had a beer while watching them heard up and eat them then i would cast a little peice on a tiny hook dont have to throw out far just couple meters out over the weed, also used to be some corker sized cray fish there too! im thinkin of hitting it up next monday will let ya know

I took the Kayak up a couple of K's maybe. It might have been less than 2 though I'm not real sure. But the area around the park is probably overfished a bit and where we went you can only get there in a kayak or canoe.

I was watching the water as I was going and there were different areas that seemed to have different types of fish in them. I think the spot I caught the bream has probably got quite a few because there was a lot of quick movements through the water that I took to be fast moving bream.

We saw a lot of mullet jumping and some very big boils in the water that made me get the boys feet inside the kayak. There is definitely some real potential if you go upstream from colleges and I have a feeling I will be back there again real soon.

Today was all about having a test paddle so to actually catch 3 fish without even doing anything was a bonus.

If anyone is interested in a trip up there let me know and we can see what we can organise.

Paul

It would be interesting to see the place as I reckon it must have changed heaps since the rain.

Last time I went the water was choked up big time with weed.

This has reminded me a Kayak trip I planned ages ago that never eventuated. Get a few people to leave cars at Kookaburra park and all launch at Colleges fishing for Bass, bream and whatever. Once we get to the bottom we just catch a few lifts back to get the other cars and wallah, awesome trip.

Cheers.

Angus

Archived