Logan river this morning

Swagger

Went to try for some sharks this morning for a few hours just before the top of the tide. Used half pilchards for bait and in total managed to hook 4 sharks but lost all four of them.

Only managed to see one which was brought close to the edge before he spat the hooks, would've gone 80cm at the most. The largest one took a massive run and took some line but after 15 secs managed to get cut off. I was using 20pd main line and had 80pd wire trace, all disappeared. Might have to beef up the tackle a bit more before round 2. Only other fish biting was a cattie and a 50cm pike eel that was landed on my last bait.

So ended up sharks 4....me big fat 0

bravoboy wrote:

Went to try for some sharks this morning for a few hours just before the top of the tide. Used half pilchards for bait and in total managed to hook 4 sharks but lost all four of them.

Only managed to see one which was brought close to the edge before he spat the hooks, would've gone 80cm at the most. The largest one took a massive run and took some line but after 15 secs managed to get cut off. I was using 20pd main line and had 80pd wire trace, all disappeared. Might have to beef up the tackle a bit more before round 2. Only other fish biting was a cattie and a 50cm pike eel that was landed on my last bait.

you only need 50lb wire , but you need at least 60lb mono leader for about 1-1.4mtrs behind the trace to stop getting tail whipped , your 20lb main line is heaps , just need leader! learn the improved allbright knot to join the heavy line to the light line and that way you dont have swivels joining and making it hard to cast,,

wesfish wrote:

bravoboy wrote:

you only need 50lb wire , but you need at least 60lb mono leader for about 1-1.4mtrs behind the trace to stop getting tail whipped , your 20lb main line is heaps , just need leader! learn the improved allbright knot to join the heavy line to the light line and that way you dont have swivels joining and making it hard to cast,,

Thanks for the tip! Sometimes I forget to bring heavier mono leader to join the swivel to the wire trace but it won't be forgotten next trip. I only cast 10 to 20 metres out so casting isnt a problem at all. The drag was set enough so he was peeling off line so im guessing he wouldve tail whipped it, their skin is like sandpaper towards the tail

i make a wire trace about 1.5m long for all shark fishing. totally eliminates the tail whipping issue (obviously for bigger sharks use a long er trace). if it's a bit out of budget to use so much wire, penn 10x 80 or 100lb about 1.5m long on top of a short wire trace will do the job but even this will get tail wrapped at times. good luck!

I go down the Logan and have tried at the one spot in the boat and off the bank and each time in the last 2 weeks I have got 2 bull sharks. A total of 6 off the bank.

I just use 25lb line with a 30 cm (40lb) trace from BCF. ( I used to make my own but after getting a few snags it became too expensive). Half a pilchard, but I find it works better with the top half.

Usually on a run out tide after 4pm at the bottom of Reidel Rd at Carbrook. Fishing near the big fence.

Rick

Archived