FUSTRATION! Help with catching Mangrove Jack

heidii

OK, So I have been trying for 8 weeks now trying to catch my first mangrove jack with no success!!!....all these late night are doing me no good.

Can anyone give me a few tips? I got tied of using lures so have moved over to live bait (mullet) Getting lots of bites, and hook ups but I keep getting bitten off (or cut of from rocks etc) So, I have either 10-15lb(cant remember which one) fireline. Firstly i was using 10X 20lb leader, kept getting bitten off so i went to a tackle shop and they gave me 40lb leader (cant remember which brand)...and still am getting bitten off!! So i tried steel trace with no success (no bites). Should I go maybe 60lb leader? Whatever is biting me off is BIG! (Fishing around Paradise Point Area)

Dont get disheartened, many people try for years to get their first jack :)

I have only ever caught one by accident on bait at noosa as a kid. No luck since. I intend to begin targeting them this summer though.

Live mullet should be the go. Just make sure you fish around structure (rocks, pilons etc), this is where the jacks hang out waiting to ambush.

Angus

hey mate,well i have never fish for jacks down here yet but have caught heaps up north.we catch our in teh mangrove snags but like you say down here it is usaually rock bars.the set up we use is 30lb line no.4 sinker 60lb leader bout 50cm long.heaviest drag posssible as you can't give these impressive fish anything in the snags cso they het so hard.you got to hold your rod or in a rod hoder close to you locked in tight.live mullet is good but we find butter fly mullet better.we call a butterfly mullet.a mullet 3-4 inches on fillet half peeled off them snapped in half with the hook thru.we use a nice big hook bout 6-7 O. don't know how this willl work down here but sure they are the same very agressive.you really have to reef teh shit out of them with max drag at the start or they will do you every time.i caugth 4 the other day and my mate got 2 as seen in the post my north trip.hope this helps.

Angus is right, some people have to wait a long time for their first Jack.

I only chase them on lures, but if you are continually getting bitten off on 20 and 40lb leader then I am guessing if may be Tailor or more likely Sharks. Yes, Jacks will bite you off but they are more likely to snag you than bite you off.

The area you are fishing is a well known Jack spot and it sounds like you are there at the right times. I am guessing you don't have a boat as this would open up your spots?

The advantage of lure fishing for Jacks is by the time they strike you already have your lure heading back to you (and away from the snag/structure) so you have the upper hand. With bait fishing, you have to wait till the fish runs and then they have the upper hand - so fishing close to structure is harder.

Perseverance is the secret - I would also suggest early morning sessions as well as late night ones. Try the top and bottom of the tide, and try to get these to coincide with either the time the moon officially rises or falls as that should help, or sunrise/sunset.

Good Luck.

Marty

Archived