Can't move gears - need help/advice

polsis

hey guys

we've got an evinrude 25hp, build year 1977. She's an absolute beaut, runs like a dream, but we've been having some issues getting her into gear the last couple of trips.

Our boat is stern drive, cable linkage into the engine, changed by a lever up the front. A few months ago we lost reverse, the cables just couldn't change to it, and intermittently we'd get it back.

On the weekend it became harder and harder, even with adjusting to move between neutral and first, and now is stuck in neutral.

Does this sound like a common problem? What would be the first thing to try? Is it something we should be messing with ourselves or does this sound like a job for an outboard mechanic?

Cheers guys, happy boating!

also I should mention (i'm one of the other owners) that even if we disconnect the cable system and change gears with the lever on the side of the engine we still cant get any other gears without moving it back and forwards for ages until it eventually clunks in and engages a gear.. then its hard to get out of it back in to neutral.

polsis wrote:

hey guys

we've got an evinrude 25hp, build year 1977. She's an absolute beaut, runs like a dream, but we've been having some issues getting her into gear the last couple of trips.

Our boat is stern drive, cable linkage into the engine, changed by a lever up the front. A few months ago we lost reverse, the cables just couldn't change to it, and intermittently we'd get it back.

On the weekend it became harder and harder, even with adjusting to move between neutral and first, and now is stuck in neutral.

Does this sound like a common problem? What would be the first thing to try? Is it something we should be messing with ourselves or does this sound like a job for an outboard mechanic?

Cheers guys, happy boating!

i'll have a shot at this, by stern drive, do you mean the motor is inside the boat under a cover, and the leg is outside, different to outboard. anyway if it is a stern drive, sounds like a clutch, pressure plate scenario, and IF this was the problem, you could attempt it yourself, if mechanically minded. now if it is a typical outboard, i would say by what you've told, problem is the gearbox it's self, if it was the sincros, it would be making all sorts of crunching noises you would not have forgotten to mention, you can diagnose the problem further by taking off the gear box, BUT, BUT, do not attempt this unless you know what you are doing, you would be able to recognise if the gear selector is actaully going into gear or not, adjusting the cable will make a difference, but not that much i don't think.. i am by no means saying this is the problem, but just maybe.

rob

Thanks for the suggestions guys.. should clarify its actually a tiller steer motor that has been converted to steer up the front by simply running throttle cable and a cable that pushes/pulls the gear selector lever on the side of the outboard.

The face that I can still GET into the gears (after a lot of screwing around) says to me there might not be anything wrong with the gearbox itself but rather the linkage between that lever and the gearbox??? does that sound right?

anyways.. might book her in.. i think.

thanks for your help :)

Polsis,

As Shortie suggested, I would strip away all the 'aftermarket' connections you or others have put on and see if the original selector goes in and out of gear ok. If not there is a set of linkages that basically push/pull the gear box allowing the gates to open and the gear to be selected. They may only need an adjustment by a licensed mechanic and you are up and running again. So all may not be as doomful as it sounds.

polsis wrote:

So rummy's a pretty good mechanic/bloke hey?

What's the normal procedure/charge and stuff like that?

Cheers for all your posts by the way boys

Send him a pm. He does all my work and did a brilliant job installing new inboard on gazzas beast plus he did all the electrical on it.

Cheers

Ray

I reckon Booty has it in one , sounds like the linkages are stuffed or need adjustment, they are usually a ball and socket joint which sometimes seizes up if not maintained or are getting old.

lift off the cowling and have a look at the linkages, maybe grease them up if they look dry, adjust if necessary, also see if the linkages move freely by hand, if they do problem maybe elsewhere..maybe gear selector has thrown a pin or circlip or something..then it would be a job for the mechanic.

cheers

bootyinblue wrote:

Polsis,

As Shortie suggested, I would strip away all the 'aftermarket' connections you or others have put on and see if the original selector goes in and out of gear ok. If not there is a set of linkages that basically push/pull the gear box allowing the gates to open and the gear to be selected. They may only need an adjustment by a licensed mechanic and you are up and running again. So all may not be as doomful as it sounds.

yeah I've tried disconnecting all the after market stuff and just using the factory gear selector on the side of the motor, but its no go... this is where the problem is. it just moves backwards and forwards without "clunking" into any gears. unless i play with it for ages and then it will finally go in (and its hard to get out back in to neutral).

we will keep you guys posted anyway.. definitely sounds like a job for a mechanic.

cheers for the plug ray!

yes it sounds like it has either streached the cables or has to much movement somewhere or maybe its just old and has had enuff and does not want to play anymore!

either way it sounds pretty ezy but will have to be looked at by a mechanic

give me a call anytime on:0409271036. or home:55436693

im now working for another mechanic who is very busey! but i still have my business open all afternoon from 4:30-9pm 5 days and all wekend if im not fishing!

will send pm aswell!

cheers rummy!

thanks for all the advice boys, thats given a good idea of what we might do

we're going to go with the earlier suggestion and chuck it into rumruner for a fix up, put some good ole faith in the forum and fishing community of brisbane!

cheers again

• 1 month later...

Archived