Barra gear??? What rod do i get???

Yoodles82

Hey all, I've mentioned before that i am going to monduran at easter, and i dont think my kmart jarvis walker general purpose rod/reel combos will cut it, should i get a hook up.:fishing:

BCF is donating all profits from Thursday 12th Feb to the red cross, so tonight i'm going to get a new rod to fish lures off the boat, for barra.

So what do i buy??? Keep in mind, i'm terribly bad at using baitcasters, but if that is the go, then i guess i'll have to learn!:unsure:

Nat

Last time up there two of the guys in the boat had cheap gear and it worked ok although we did break 1 rod 1 reel and 1 landing net.I dont think you need to spend a fortune I got a shimano sonic pro 56 barra baitcaster 6-8kg with a pfluger ecthalon reel for about $150 I use 50lb braid with a 60lb leader and still got snaped off some times like it was cotton.

Yeah, my gear is pretty ordinary at the moment, so i'm looking for something better. I should get into the bait casters, i just dont want a birds nest in the middle of monduran :P

I was more concerned about the weight...you said yours was 6-8kg? Will that snag the little ones and the big ones? Not that i really expect the big ones.

I've got the 50lb braid and the 80lb leader ready...just need better rod/reel:blush:

That will handel anything the dam can dish up athough a longer softer will cast better. Befor this reel I had not really used a bait caster although I did have a cheap one , useing the better one and getting some help from utube it was not to long til it clicked it like learning to ride a bike hard as untill it clicks then its too easy.

Archived