colmslie - sunday 12 april

novrain

hi all

me, missus and another couple rocked up to colmslie ramp at about 1030pm. was my first time there so didn't quite know what to expect.

the floating pontoon was packed with people casting nets and i assumed they were after prawns. had a chat to 2 of them and they were after mullet. they were practically casting nets the whole time i was there.

headed over to the wooden fishing platform/jetty and proceeded to set up. it was actually a pretty nice place and very clean too. plenty of space for people to move around too so was impressed overall.

spoke to 2 chaps and they said they didn't catch anything. he asked if i had spare hooks so i dropped off a couple to him. hope he put them to good use (whoever you are!!). there was a korean couple there as well and one other lonesome fisho.

we only had fresh prawns from the market so i cut them up and put them out. we had 4 rods in total. nothing much was happening so i headed over to the other end to try my luck.

ended up fishing beside this guy who looked suspiciously like a familiar avatar on this site so i said 'hi, would you happen to be morpakev'... lo and behold he was!.. unmissable cap my friend, could spot you from a mile.. nice to meet you...

most of the bites we had were little tiddlers nibbling away. i ended up casting my net for some prawns or mullet but all i got were little ones...

anyway this went on for a while until i casted to the side. not long after i put it down, something took it and put a bend in the rod. fought it to the side and it was a pretty decent size bream , around the 28-30 mark. didn't have a proper cam, only have it on a friend's mobile phone.

not long after, we had another bite on one of the rods. it kinda kept free swimming towards us and my friend fighting the fish was confused and it wasn't quite doing what she expected the fish to do. anyway she fought it to the side and i guess just as it neared the jetty, it did a powerful last burst and snapped the leader.. we'll never know what it was

that was probably the last major action as the rest were just tiny ones..kev left at around 1.15am while we left at around 2am. and those cast netters were still going at it!

all in all, a pretty enjoyable night out.

till then

merv

we basically fished betwen sundown and 1 am i came back to the ramp a couple of times for some bait and fished around the locall area right up against the wharves in some very fishy spots and the best we could do was a stream of catties and a few prawns some of them very nice banana prawns

chubbie and i were in my old red naughtiglass 15ft runabout with blue shakespear engine cover and leccie on the back

Nice to meet you Novrain! Thanks for the live prawn and the chips. Got there at 6.30 left at 1.30. 1 fair size Catty on my 4lb braid rod was ok sport...... A few runs on my big rod, but no hook up. Had to get at least one fish after donutting on the beach at Caloundra on Friday night and donutting off the military jetty in Pumicestone Passage on Saturday night (them jetty lights are a pain!). The Colmslie jetty had about 14 rods going at one point and crossed lines were the order of the night, but everyone took it in good stead which was nice to see. Kids fighting and running around on the platform wouldn't have helped settle the fish I would have thought, and thanks to the burnout hoon for the rubbery stink.........What was the stern drive boat? Sounded nice!

Couldn't get it out of my pocket in time, then it said private number, then I got a text from a mate in Perth about fatties and assumed it had been him.....12 rods, a big drifting tide and some crazy casting would have wound you up, Rob and I bet a buck you'd be trying to "sinker" the boat moored fairly close!!! See you down there soon. Off to Sydney tomorrow, back at the weekend. How did your boating go this morning.......(How much line do I need to drop me rod in the water off the top of the harbour bridge?)

Archived