Hey all! New to the site and new to fishing!

Kappa

Hey all,

Im new to the site and new to fishing. I just wanted to introduce myself, Im 24 yrs old and live in north brissy. Ive never use to be into fishing mainly because id never catch anything other than toadfish and malaria from the mozzies. Until recently when i went up to the great barrier reef for Easter holidays and caught my first fish longer than 5cm (see profile pic). From that moment i was hooked.

In the first week of coming home i went out and bought a rod n reel, tackle box and other goodies. Since Easter ive been out for a flick almost 3 times a week, trying different spots with out much luck except the odd bream off the hornibrook bridge.

I am land based as i dont have a boat but concidering getting myself a fishing kayak because i dont have enough money for anything bigger. Ive bought a couple books and looked at a few sites trying learn more about fishing but nothing would be as good as knowledge from a local fisherman/women. Any tips, comments or advice you can give would be much welcomed and appreciated.

thanx, Kappa

Welcome aboard mate!

My first advice would be to have a good read through the forum reports, hints and tips etc. There is a wealth of info in there for the taking.

Secondly dont be shy. The AFO community is very friendly and helpful. There are plenty of official and unofficial events that usually get a talk up in the Fishing Events or Going Fishing section of the forum. Getting along and meeting some of the crew first hand is a really good way to break the ice and get known :)

Aside from that mate welcome again and hopefully the site provides you with the info and fun you seek.

P.S. Be sure to report of your own successes!

Angus

welcome to the site mate, theres an abundance of information for the begginer in the forum, anything you wanna know just search in the forum search engine and im sure you will find something there. also read through the reports and that will give you ideas on areas to try and what species are lurking around.

Welcome aboard mate. I won't add too much as I see Angus, Kriso and others have covered most things. All I will say is try and arrange to get out with a couple of guys, that's what I did and I've learnt a pot load.

Happy fishing and good luck.

Brett

Thanx everyone, your right there is alot of good info here.

special thanx to tugger, I did exactly that targeted bream, read up on them, went out to the Hornibrook bridge and broke my record catch wich was a measley 2 fish and caught 11.About half were undersize got two at 26cm and one at 29-30cm!

Kappa

Archived