BATTERY EXPLOSIONS

rayke1938

There has been quite a bit of discussion about the best type of battery to use so I thought I would try to make everyone aware of the dangers of battery explosions.

When a battery is charged hydrogen gas is generated and is very explosive and care has to be taken when connecting and disconnecting the charger to prevent sparking.

If the battery has removable vents always remove the vents before charging and replace them after charging is completed.

Make certain that you connect rhe charger leads the correct way. RED is always positive the battery normally has POS or a + stamped on or adjacent to the positive terminal.

Make certain that the charger is turned off before connecting and disconnecting to the battery.

Wait for 15 minuites before disconnecting the charger or connecting the battery.

Preferably charge the battery in an open well ventilated area.

If the battery is stored in a console along with the fuel tank also be aware of the dangers of explosion pf petrol vapors.

Make certain all electrical circuits are turned off before installing and removing battery.

Always only use spanners thar are insulated when connecting a battery. IE wrap the handle of the spanner with electricians tape so that there is no possibility of shorting out the battery.

In my boat the battery is in the console and I have an anderson plug connected to a 3 foot lead which reaches outside the console and I use this to connect to the charger and also use it to connect to my minnkota.

This reduces the risk of explosion and the risk of reversing the connections.

Never us alligator clips to connect your electric motor straight to the battery as there is a risk of sparking.

If you are unfortunate enough for a battery to explode in your face wash it out immediately with lots of water.

The sulphuric acid is very corrosive and will cause permanent eye damage.

If you are also cut from pieces of the battery case dont worry about it the cuts can be stitched up just get the acid out of your eyes.

Hope I have covered all aspects and that you never have a battery explosion.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/01/31 18:14

Yeah but they can still cause sparks Brian if it is on when connecting or disconnecting! Anderson Plugs are the way to go. Cant be connected incorrectly (as long as they are attached correctly when you first install them!)

The acid is actually Sulphuric, which is really nasty, and worse than Hydrochloric.

Archived