surf rods

Hamster

hey everyone,

does anyone know a cheap but reliable surf rod. that would handle jewies and sharks from the beach. im heading to iluka for a week and was in the market for a cheap surf rod. not something overly expensive, because i wont use it regularly.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers hamster.

Man I know jack all about surf rods, but I saw anaconda Logan had some for sale. I bought mine there last time on sale and it was Mojiko of some sorts (maybe 12foot) that went from $150 to $50. And thats legit...I saw it there 4 weeks earlier for the price of $150. Figured it was a good buy at $50.

Much as I hate to suggest it, for someone who'll only use it rarely you'd do worse than to visit your local second hand/ stolen goods outlet (Cashies) and have a look what they've got. I picked up a Gary Howard fast taper 12footer for just $80 -Not a mark on it. I wasn't looking for a rod, but to get a watch battery fitted when i saw it. :woohoo:

Just about all of the cheaper rods are made of graphite and they are thin walled in the blank. Probably not the ideal surf rod for the slightly bigger stuff but it will do it if you play th fish right. When you go to buy your surf rod look at the wilson livefibre and snydaglass models and check out the eylet possitioning and quality compared to the cheaper rods.The surf rod design is all about the cast and the distane you get and what weight is being cast rather than what fish you want to catch with it this is why the range of surf rods are called light surf, light-medium surf, medium surf,heavy surf and then we start dealing with the lbg (land based game)rods and the list is endless.

If your going to get a little more serious obout catching jew or mackeral in the surf or a good rock fishing rod you might wana look at the snydaglass 12 wrap it has unbelievable power for long hard casts using big baits.

The most indestructable reel is the alvey

Archived