Kooka Pk Sat 10th

Yellow Peril

first time in the upper Brisbane River, recent reports got me interested. Launched at Kooka Pk about 4pm with Matt. Heaps of big mullet around, got 3-4 to almost a kg, bit big for livies. Got a few bonies too, most of them a bit big also.

Decided to have a fish with the light gear while we waited for dusk. Ties a lure on each and set a livie each 'just in case'. Matt's livie went off after 5 minutes and he caught his first shark, 85 cm bull shark. Tried to stick a tag in it, but the barb kept breaking off the tag. Shark was released.

High tide had just peaked, and the wind was swinging us around a fair bit at anchor, so we decided to get some more bait before we kept fishing. Wasn't easy to find anything suitable for live bait, gone scarce or too big.

Met up with Jeff and co at around 5.30. We anchored just downstream from the boat ramp. Storm was coming across but didn't look too bad. Had some good runs on fillets of mullet, but whatever it was, they were difficult to hook and when I finally got one it was just a catty. Storm finally passed and the sky cleared and wind died out around 8 pm and we moved back to where Matt got his shark earlier.

Heaps of surface activity in the burley trail, and I finally had a shark molest my half mullet rigged on two circle hooks on plastic coated wire. It was suspended about 2 m under a balloon which was rubberbanded to the leader, but the shark didn't take it strongly enough to break the rubber band, so it just played with it. Pulled the bait back in and sent it back out unweighted, but no more interest except from the catties.

We pulled the boat out at about 10.30 pm and hit the road just before the second storm came through and the rain pissed down.

Jeremy

i got there at 4;30

said g'day to jeremy and mat

spent the next 2 hours trying to catch bait

anchored up put out a prawn and a bony bream

had two little runs.....nothing stuck

packed up and ran like a girl from the storm went back to deckies place with a crton of beer and bottle of drambuie

woke up on lounge room floor wondering where my car and boat were:sick:

Archived