Slowish day Moreton Offshore 20/7/09

dhess

After meeting up with my usual deckie Karol and Happy Wally we made our way up to Bribie. We launched and had an easy trip across the bay. We rounded the cape to be greeted by a 10knot southerly breeze and nearly zero swell. Pretty nice all round.

Started off fishing my usual marks around shallow tempest. Things proved to be very slow. It was quite a busy morning and someone was anchored in the middle of my most productive marks so couldn't drift directly over them.

Wally was on first with his first ever snapper a decent fish at 58cm. I managed one soon after just atouch smaller. Then Wally got another in the high 50's. Soon after Wally hooked up to something big but after a 5 minute tussle he got busted off. Almost certain it was a shark. We were visited by a little whale, the only one we saw all day. We caught a few more just legals which we released and a couple of decent moses perch before deciding to head to deeper water.

Around the 80-90m line the action was a bit better but a lot of just legal or just under snapper. First drift I had a solid hookup which ended up being a nice whaler around the 2m mark. He gave me a real good workout which nearly resulted in a coronary. It ended up being a 10-15 minute battle with the drag locked up on 50lb braid ona tyrnos 12. My arms are still aching today. My whippy little daiwa grand wave rod held up beautifully despite me failing to thread the line through the stripper guide. (It was dark. :blush: )We moved around for the rest of the morning trying to find better quality fish to no avail. We could have easily bagged out on just legals but only kept a few of the better ones around the 40cm mark for a feed. No pearlies. I don't know what it is but I have seemed to have lost my pearlie mojo. :(

All up it was a nice day and nice to have you onboard Wally. Although I am seriously thinking about banning you from my boat because you outfished us at your first go. Bastard! :laugh: P7200213_AFO.jpg

thanks for the comments guys...

it was a great experience...

dhess is a top bloke!

haha you guys should have seen his tussel with the shark...

it was gold!

i honestly thought his rod was going to break halfway through...

either that or his back :laugh: ...

but good on ya dhess for raising that beast... it was HUGE!

what a feat!

Thanks for the kind words guys. The shark didn't break my back but boy did my arms feel it the last couple of days!

I still find it interesting that so many sharks caught out there get hooked in the cheek preventing bust off immediately.

Angus

I guess this is testament to the effectiveness of circle hooks. In this case gamakatsu octopus circle 6/0's. I have hooked numerous big sharks on them and have not once been bitten off. It has always ended with the shark being busted or cut off boat side or snell or dropper loop knots failing after prolonged fights with heavy drag pressures. They are blood ystrong hooks too. A while ago a 30kg ish AJ with drag fully locked up could only slightly open one up but still got him in the end.

Archived