Are non-biodegradable plastics bad?

Bassythekid

Gulps were proven to not break down by one bloke who dropped them in a fishtank for a month, the gulp rep replied saying that wave action, sand and blah blah degraded them... *cough bulls#*t cough*

None of us would throw plastics over the side, they aren't so cheap we would just toss them. Maybe the problem is trout eating a lure the same size they are!

HookedOnTackle wrote:

.... Maybe the problem is trout eating a lure the same size they are!

I agree, maybe the trout should be nominated for the Darwin Awards for its suicide attempt. :P

from what i have learnt, most soft plastics swallowed by fish pass through with no problems. The throwing of used soft plastics overboard by anglrs is pretty tatty, I have seen this done many times and it does irritate me, but that is the actions of the un-educated anglers rather than the norm.

even the plastic that have had the tail bitten off i don't throw out .

let the kids use them .and they cost to much to throw overboard.

and i think most of them are small enough to pass.

if they got the jighead and plastic in there gut that could be a problem .or a plastic with in built sinker and hook.

but if it's part the bit off or a whole 1 no hook it should come out the other end .its flexible after all.

i base this on my fish in my fish tanks eating 5 mm stones and passing them.

ok there butt hole pops out and looks funny for a bit but the seams to live on ok.

the fish have done this from 5 cm long to 25 cm long .

still i would like to hear that they are biodegradable .

make the greens and me happier if they where.

well that's my 2 bob.

If they are non biodegradable they would be great, never break down and cause any form of pollution, (except visual).

Most environmental problems are caused by biodegradeable products that break down in to nasties. In the 70's biodegradeable became the catch cry of the greenies, so they found quite a few washing detergents broke down quite well when based on phosphorus, what a disaster that was, it was essentially like injecting high power food for slime algaes in to waterways all over Australia! Biodegradeable though!

Archived