spinning reel to match 6-12lb loomis, under $400

aichepee

hey guys,

im about to go to tw today to get myself a new reel for my 6-12lb g.loomis mossyback.

under $400 is the budget. ive narrowed it down to the daiwa heartland xa 2500, shimano sustain 2500/3000, the new stradic c14 2500 and the twinpower 2500.

what do u guys think?

ill be taking it in the yak a lot so im leaning towards the sustain as i think shimanos are a lot more reliable, based from experience. but the heartland has all corrosion resistant bearings... so i dont know.

thanks in advance, harry

Ellicat has some good ideas. And the stradic 3000 has a special paddle handle that is gonna be great for cranking, 7kg drag... I was looking at the same thing, heartland, sustain or twin power and was told at Jones' that i may as well go the stradic, the value for money is meant to be heaps better and Daiwa struggle to compete until you get to the level of Luvias.

I asked about the corrosion resistant bearings and was told all will rust with salt water exposure anyway. Just got to get in there after each trip and clean them up properly.

i take my reels apart 4 times a year. if you have a slight mechanical aptitude you'll be fine. just line up the items when u take it apart so u know exactly where to put everything back. when u get it taken apart use a mix of 1 part dish soap(liquid) to 3 parts warm water. use a tooth brush and scrub away. rinse with warm water then grease and oil where you need. put back together and tadaa. nice and smooth again. i should have done it when i first got my stradic (2000 model bought in 99, slight grinding now, but it still works well). hope it helps

when you're just cleaning your reels after use, don't run them under water, just wipe them with a damp cloth (spinning reels)

they don't have drainage ports like bc's so any water that gets inside (i.e from running it under a tap) will stay in, just wipe down the parts that receive salt spray with a damp cloth, otherwise your'e asking for trouble

don't go nuts with oil either or it will strip the reel of grease, just oil appropriate parts like the roller guide

Archived