Nth Pine River

fenelious

I put the canoe in on Saturday arvo on Nth Pine River at a spot I hadn't been before. I didn't have a lot of luck, but I did manage to avoid the donut which was nice - got one 35cm Bass on a jigspin and christened my new lipgrips :) After a couple of hours on the water it was nearly dark when he jumped on. He didn't swim away very enthusiastically, so I hope he's ok :unsure:

I'm still yet to catch my first fish on surface - on dusk and when it got dark (with a head lamp) I tried a popper and a Halco Night Crawler(these glow in the dark and have a big noisy action), but no luck :( Does anyone have much success there at night on surface?

Anyway I was hoping someone might be able to give me a heads up on what sorts of fish are in there, cos heaps (mostly small ones) of fish were showing up on the sounder, and I saw quite a lot of movement on the surface with a few jumpers. I'd never seen a lungfish before but a monster (he was about 1m+ long and scaley so not an eel) swam slowly past my canoe at one point just below the surface, so I'm assuming that's what he was. And I think some of the action I was seeing on the surface was lungfish coming up to breathe air - is that what they do?

What are those fish (mostly small ones) that jump out of the water often? Do Bass jump, or would they be Mullet or something else? Are there any/many Carp in that there river?

The jumping fish would be mullet...bass will jump at night when on the end of your line though. That's one reason I like night time bass sessions.

It may be worth trying a more subtle topwater lure. A walk the dog lure can be effective if the noisier models won't produce. Sometimes they like a loud lure and other times they just want to swim up gently behind a slowly worked Sammy or Rover and follow it all the way back.

Archived