Max braid poundage on spin reel?

tobie10

I was wondering, what the advisable max braid strength that can go on a spinning reel, eg: 2500 size? The mono rating of the reel is for 6lb to 10lb, but for braid should I just find the equivalent braid line diameter to 10lb mono as a rule of thumb?

thanks,

juls

I've used 60lb on a 2000 series before, worked ok. Need to be careful as you can almost spool yourself casting. Its really all about the capacity of the spool (will it hold enough) and the drag on the reel.(is it strong enough to make the size of the braid usable).

Realistically I doubt you could use much more than 30lb on a 2500 successfully. I just did it because I was barra fishing in the sticks and it was a choice of 60lb or dont fish! The plan was to just lock up the spool with my hand and back out if I actually hooked one. The 2000's drag would never have held anything that would have come close to testing the braid.

take from this what you will!

i once bought a reel for jigging, the reel in question was a reputable brand, but a cheapie by today's standards.

everybody knew what the reel was inted for, including the guys that sold it to me, so i went home a spooled it up.

1st trip out i destroyed it, broke the drag knob, drag fried it'self, along with other problems too, i thought, what a piece of crap.

upon the warranty claim, it was pointed out to me that the line class on the reel as stated is the max for the reel in question, so if it has writtin on it 250 of 6lb or 220 of 12lb. 12lb is the max, just so you know for warranty's. not every 1 knows this, hell even the guys assessijng the repair or warranty might not know it, so just be advised, and by the way, all the line was taken off my reel and placed onto another reel, and got a brand spankin new reel that i sold off

Archived