Australia Day Tilapia Bust

Feral

Lions at Petrie are once again holding their Australia Day Tilapia Bust. This is targeted at kids and families. Flyer below.

So if you've not got anything planned for the day come along.

If you have never meet me before I'll be one of the 20 or so FB's in the PRMFA shirts helping out!

lionsflyersmall.jpg

Lake Kurwongbah Brian, its the little lake on your right when your going along Dayboro road to the PRFMA lease. Fishing headquarters is around at Mick Hanfling park, you go right at the big roundabout behind Petrie to get there. (Just follow the road until it goes to the right, then you are there, entry about 100m along from the bend)

Rocket75 wrote:

Brian D wrote:
Looks like a good cause. Where arethey fishing? NP or theat other dam? Is dt wa swhere we had the Tilapo AFO thing?

jeez Chilly, what have you been dinrinkg? :lol:

Ha Yeah got a bit of a hangover, can't open my left eye and it feels like a pin in my right eye. Head is throbbing and I have the shakes. :woohoo: Now back to the fush!

Anyone else interested in pulling out Tilapia?

Bump from the PRFMA website please come along and have a really good day.

Cheers

Ray

Petrie Lions Family Fishing Event Page Header

Since 2007 on January 26 th of each year The Petrie Lions hold a fun fishing event for the whole family on Lake Kurwongbah. The event is aimed at getting mum, dad and the kids outdoors together enjoying a spot of fresh water fishing.

The initial three to four years has been all about removing the dreaded Tilapia, which can be a lot of fun on light gear especially when you get a hold of one of the plentiful 40+ cm models that live in the lake. After this we will be seeing plenty of stocked native fish doing their level best to steal your bait, your tackle and if they get a chance your rod and reel.

The first batch of Australian Native Bass released will be in the 30 - 35cm range by 2010 and they are tenacious and tough fighters and will give even seasoned anglers a work out. The younger anglers may want to hone their skills on the stocked population of snub nose garfish, a fish which almost seems designed with kids in mind. All you need is some bread, a float, a no. 12 hook and a keen eye to get amongst this species known affectionately as fresh water mini-marlin.

On the day PRFMA runs varying mini-clinics and competitions, one of the favourites being Hook-a-Hat, where the kids get to test their casting skills for the chance to win a new fishing hat. Our volunteers are also on hand throughout the day to help with rigging a rod, baiting a hook or showing you a technique to make your day successful.

Of course we will weigh and measure your catch to ensure you get bragging rights within your family.

The Lions make sure there are great prizes on the day, there is food and drinks available and off-street parking isn’t a problem. If you want any further information contact Tim Beckett of the Petrie Lions via email on tnbeckett@bigpond.com . We will update information in our notices section as the date draws closer.

Todays Petrie Lions Australia Day Fishing event was a bit slower than some of the events held in the past, but a fun day was had by all participants including the volunteers.

The tilapia caught were mostly small from 5cm to 8cm with 2 15cm fish and a lone 32cm fish the largest caught. 42 tilapia the total caught. The only native fish caught was a 25 cm tandanus.

Steve

Plenty of turtles pulled in also!

My boy got first fish of the day, but at 6cm it didn't put up much of a fight - so not much excitement for his first catch. Hopefully his next catch is a bit more interesting.

cfr

EDIT : Many thanks to the PRFMA blokes who were a friendly bunch, and more than happy to share some of their wisdom. I will keep an eye open for future events run by them as they put on a good day.

Archived