trailer bearings..... is this right.??

yellahunter

hey guys,

Ive just changed the bearings over in my trailer,

ive had the boat around 18months and never looked at them so thought rather than mess around il just change em over for fresh ones.

i removed the old bearings and seals cleaned out all the old grease (which was black and brown in places too), packed the new bearings, put some more grease into the hole between the front and rear bearings and screwed it all back together. the thing i wasnt sure about is one of them still has a very slight rough feeling when you spin the wheel. The wheel spins freely but just seems a little rough, is this normal or should it be super smooth,

any info appreciated,

Cheers,

Ben

it should be smooth as a baby's bum, did you replace the cones the bearings actually rest against?

and just asking, how did you pack the bearings ???

and how tight did you do up the hub nut???

robbo

also point of interest: with trailer bearings, it's worth every dollar more spent getting the better quality bearings. don't! don't! use the cheap chinese crap!

hey Robbo,

nah i didnt change the cones,

i cant seem to get them out, perhaps this is where the problem lies,

i just packed them by pressing grease all though them over and over,

until i was pretty sure it was right through,

i think these are chinese unfortunately,

the BLA brand from memory.

il have to get some better ones next time,

thanks for the help mate

Ben

buy a good set now! if your close by i can give you a hand if ya like, you need to use a punch and hammer to get the old cones outand when packing bearings, best to place a good dollop on ya left palm and press the bearing into the edge of the grease and you will see it start to protude out from the bearing case.

Archived