How to fish southport seawall?

josmo99

Dropped by the seawall at the GC on the way to dinner yesterday. It looks like a nice place to spend a few hours but seeing how far the rocks extend out, there must be bugger all chance of landing anything bigger than a goldfish. :dry:

I watched a guy fish from the concrete wall and all he was catching was the rocks at the bottom. He threw a fair way out but the current was taking his line in and snagging him on almost every cast. Poor chap packed up not long after. :)

Has anyone managed to catch and land anything substantial by fishing from the top of the seawall? And what gear would you need? 30-40lb mono?

Going away from the seawall to the left, that area looks easier to fish but also looks rather barren ie. no 'reef', weed or any fishy cover.

There really is no such thing as walking up and down the wall unfortunatey as the rocks are slippery and sharp so it's not easy to be mobile.. The place is very tricky to bait fish as like you said the current RIPS so there is no way to keep your bait out there without it sweeping around and eventually finding rocks..

My tip would be to get yourself a set of brass knuckles and a nice little switch blade or a 9mm and try and jostle for a spot with the rest of the Goldy throwing slugs and rip baits at the pipeline.

josmo99 wrote:

[there must be bugger all chance of landing anything bigger than a goldfish. :dry:

Your are far from the truth Josmo, check out spit boys .com and the seaway photo's.

I nearly do all my fishing on the seaway and i have had great days and blank days.

Great Tailor and kingies, a good jewie is next on the list.

Cheers

Bri.

Agree with Bri in that the Seaway has some top fishing at times, but is very hit and miss and without doubt the most heavily fished area on the coast. Your right though, landing sizable fish is certainly tough landbased. As Chris said the rocks are not the easiest to make quick movements on and the current will drag your bait paralell to the wall. My best advice would be to fish a runout tide rght up the end so your bait is washed out to sea. Again though the rocks up the end are enormous cubes so getting from one to the next is sometimes a 7ft jump up or down and alot of swell hits this wall front on, along with wind so getting down close to the water isn't an option like it is up near the pipe, so your right it is a very difficult spot to safely land anything of good size.

Fishing around in where the Seaway meets the Broadwater is far safer, easier to move, less exposed and can be fished with Bream gear. There are very good Flathead and Bream to be had in close to the Rocks on plastics. Fish paralell to the walls alot.

Thanks for the advice and tips, guys. Somebody told me that the seawall is a place where it's possible to catch small tuna, big tailor and trevally. I went for a look because I was getting bored chasing bread and butter species. However I'll need a serious upgrade of gear before I could even think about fishing there. But it certainly has some nice scenery and the water looks beautiful, better than the spots where I usually fish.

Ashhley wrote:

yea i been looking at fishing there a lot, just need to get a nice rod so i can use my saltiga dogfight the for spinning, also are u able to fish off the sand pumping jetty

Isn't the sand pumping jetty only good when the annual tailor run starts?

Another thing I noticed at the seawall was baitfish constantly getting harassed out of the water. So the suggestion of using a float might be good, just need a very long rod, a big float and a moderate southerly like yesterday to be able to cast the bait far enough from the rocks and follow it along the top of the wall without having to perform one's best imitation of a mountain goat :laugh:

josmo99 wrote:

Thanks for the advice and tips, guys. Somebody told me that the seawall is a place where it's possible to catch small tuna, big tailor and trevally. I went for a look because I was getting bored chasing bread and butter species. However I'll need a serious upgrade of gear before I could even think about fishing there. But it certainly has some nice scenery and the water looks beautiful, better than the spots where I usually fish.

definately. mac tuna and bonito come in nice and close..... in fact I was there when little macks were chasing baitfish right up so far into the shallows that the tuna were jumping out onto the sand and getting stuck :D

And I always hear of big tailor.. never seen or caught myself.

But I don't think you'll need a serious upgrade... just lots of line on your spool :D

There are some huge bream in there near the submereged pipe, just about most times ive been there ive seen schools of tailor and other species chasing bait in from the mouth.

I like the idea of floating a livey out there, big chance of getting smashed if there is any tailor about.

I noticed one thing about the Bream in the seaway compared to the bream in local creeks, the bream seem to fight alot harder in the blue water than they do in the muddy creek water.....Just an observation, dont know if it means anything...cheers Beejay

Beejay wrote:

I noticed one thing about the Bream in the seaway compared to the bream in local creeks, the bream seem to fight alot harder in the blue water than they do in the muddy creek water.....Just an observation, dont know if it means anything...cheers Beejay

I wouldn't fight well if I was breathing mud with every breath. :laugh: Either that or they're good at using the current.

Archived