Albert Exploration

Brian D

I took a quick trip in the Albert river today. I was too late for fishing times but I took some rods anyway. The point of the trip was to go up river until the :) fresh water weir at Wolferdern.

Mud at the ramp on launching and even more on the way home' Got rained on twice, but it was nice to be in the untouchable zone where no other boats go.

The biggest catch of the day was my deckie (Shag) - he decieded to jump over board and I had to use my enviro landing net to get him back on board.

The second biggest catch was a sea eagle that too my lure off the surface a I was trying to take a photo of it. Problem for me was when the eagle took the lure I wasn't holding ( too busy testing new camera) the rod and the whole outfit took off (airbourne) with the the eagle.

Lucky for me the eagle knew something was wrong and landed in the water. As I was heading for it to retrieve the bird the lure (floating) came free and the bird flew off.

I then chased the lure, got it and reverse hand lined the 100 mtres of braid till the rod and reel came to the surface.

The rod will be OK but the reel was pretty muddie and full of water.

Oh well - the deckies thought it was great fun. [img size=358]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/eagle.JPG

Hamish, apparently so, dont see them much down that way though, dont think they like the brackish / salt water. Definately upstream though!

Brian, no not sharing with you! the cruise craft in the other half of your double bed will take up to much room!

Hey Brian, I went all the way up the albert about 8 or 9 years ago to the weir from carbrook, took me about 3 hrs going slow, having a look around, we got to a spot where foot long mullet were jumping everywhere even had four big ones land in the boat so i kept them for bait, they were awesome hitting us in the boat , i dont have any idea why they did this but a mate told me it only happens on an ebb tide, donnt know.

when we went there there was two spots where you could only get a small boat through because of fallen trees, are they still there??

Chippy - I only went as far as the Windaroo Golf Course - I ran out of time and tide. As I was in my tinnie it took ages to get that far. The tinnie has only got electric and 4hp. I didn't see any fallen trees but I suspect they are a bit further up river.

chippee the mullet jumping in the boat happens to me all the time out at kookaburra park at night no matter what the tide, i think the very low freeboard helps, my deckie keeps getting belted in the head by them much to my amusement, i aim for the schools whenever we are moving:evil:

Archived