Nth Pine Dam 09/04/07

adventure_angler

Well set the alarm for 4am and was at Forgans Cove car park at 4:45. Was waiting in my car, in the pitch black for my mate to arrive. No cars or people were around obviously, until a lone car drove past. It then put its breaks on and reversed 100m back until it was in line with my car. Sat there for about 15 seconds looking at me, then began to drive off, phew I thought. But then it made a quick turn into the car park and drove up behind me parking me in. I had guard rails infront of me and the front of his car about 30cm's from my bumper. Oh shit, he got out and walked over to my passenger window and just looked in at me for a good 10 seconds (i obviously had the car locked and windows up) before saying \"wrong car mate\" and walking away. Scared the shit out of me as I was still half asleep and the fact that he parked me in let me know he wasnt just there for no reason.

Anyway after that little incident to wake me up my mate arrived 3 minutes later and we headed down the path to the dam.

Started flicking G-Vibes around while my mate and his friend threw some Jackalls out. After a few minutes things really fired up and my mates had each caught and released 2 bass. At this point I was starting to think I should really get some Jackalls, but then I got a big hit and line started running off my new reel at a fast rate. I went to tighten the drag slightly and *snap* the fish was gone. Couldnt believe it. I went a while without any fish after that with each of the guys I was with each catching 4 and 5 bass each overall. Most of these were about 25-30cm to the fork, but one of the bass went 45cm to the fork. Another one of the bass was tagged and after photos was quickly released. All were caught on Jackalls, except 1 or 2 which were caught on sp's. Finally I was on again and pulled in a 35cm fork length bass which put up a nice little fight to become the first fish caught on my new set-up. In between all this action i managed to hook-up with 4 really nice snas, losing 4 G-Vibes to the lake. Things really slowed down with no1 catching anything for about 45mins until I landed the last fish of the day, a 30cm fork bass.

Judging from the fight of all other fish caught today, the \"one that got away\" seemed much bigger, as I couldnt stop it from taking line from my reel. If only... :P

Called it a day and headed home covered in mud. Overall an eventful sunrise session.

-nelson-

I bet you were glad you were fishing G Vibes instead of Jackalls after you had lost 4!

Thats now my number one rule, after loosing a big barra at callide dam, never adjust your drag while you have a fish on, you can pretty much guarantee you'll lose it!

Check your drag before casting every now and then by pulling out some line from just in front of the reel!

Anyway sounds like a great morning, and I reckon its just as well you have an ugly mug, you might have lost your virginity otherwise! :pinch:

Very glad to be using G-Vibes after losing four ($28), my mate lost one Jackall and that cost him $25 :silly:

Got no idea what this guy was after but I sure am glad I had the \"wrong car\" :P

As for tightening the drag, it was set perfectly for the other bass of the day (30-35cm fork) but this fish was just peeling off the line. Figured I should slightly tighten the drag or I was gonna lose too much line. But yeh I will not be doing that mid-fight again thats for sure!!! Might also have been due to the fact that this was the first hook-up on the new rod and reel so hadnt perfected the drag yet. After today have found just where I will keep it set for bass, so hopefully will be no need to tighten it during a run again. Thanks for the tip Feral, would have sucked to lose a big barra :pinch:

-nelson-

by the way have just noticed this post posted itself twice in separate threads :P

mate if you werent in your car you would be filling out insurance forms for sure ol mate was prob thinking about stealing it

or maybe he knows someone who owns that car and he dont like them too much oh well at lewast you got onto some bass this weekend

Archived