Baitcaster/Overhead what's the go?

generally a smoother drag and better stoping power then as the reels get bigger they have other options like lever drags to give you preset drag pressure for strike positions and capability to increase pressure again to preset positions for live baitig, trolling, bottom fishing etc

Ok Kev, I'll start. This is in my opinion only:

Spin outfits -

pros: easy to cast, cheaper for same quality, easy to use with no overruns

Cons: not so much feel, can't easily freespool

Overheads-

Pros: great feel, easy to freespool and feed out line without losing ability to strike

Cons: more expensive for same quality, prone to overruns, harder to cast until you get used to them.

Horses for courses. I use both, but really prefer overheads unless I am doing a lot of casting/retrieving like throwing slugs around as you can toss them forever with a spon outfit, but if you lose concentration with the overhead it can be birdsnest heaven.

Hope this helps

Steve

Casting into the wind with a baitcaster is a bit more effort.

Spin combo's cast lighter lures easier.

I always use my baitcaster when I want absolute casting accuracy to get in tight.

I prefer trolling with a baitcaster/overhead reel.

A little off subject but an interesting observation,5-10 years ago the tournament fisho`s (as seen on TV or video`s) all seemed to have been using BC`s or small overhead reels,most now seem to have reverted to spin reels,does this coincide with the increased use of soft plastics.

in the estuary sizes i.e 200 size baitcasters and downwards, the casters tend to have more direct winching power than spin reels which tend towards higher rate of retrieve

spin reels deal with ultralight weights much better, i prefer baitcasters in general as i don't do much ultralight breaming.

baitcasters are more fluid in operation imo i.e no fiddling with bail arms, easier to freespool but still add smooth drag pressure with your thumb, better and more accurate short distance casting generally (higher ability to pitch/flip and your thumb is always in direct and smooth control of the spool)

backlashes aren't a problem when you're used to casting them, last backlash i had was on a new reel i'd never cast before and was not tuned in with the settings

i much prefer baitcasters for deeper water jigging, most vertical type fishing and most river fishing in general, but spin reels definately have their place and i have one spin setup as well.

if you're casting lightly weighted plastics around a spin reel will be more enjoyable to use and any advantages in the accuracy etc of a baitcaster will be negated by the difficulty in casting light weights, depending on the baitcaster in question

high speed spinning of slugs etc, much better suited to spin gear

really its all preference, while there are pros and cons there wont be a situation where you'll be unable to perform well with spin gear. some of us just prefer to use baitcasters and enjoy the slight benefits of using one in a certain situation

sorry for crapping on its late and im tired

cheers

Dan

cheers

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

baitcasters and overheads usually slip into two similar but different enough positions. overheads have a lot more line capacity, especially when you get up into the big reels like a tiagra 50w. they are designed and built to chase biiiig fish over a long time.

baitcasters used to be the far away most reliable and strong type of reel, but with new technology, materials and manufacturing techniques dropping in price, the major advantages of a baitcaster have been nullified mostly. drags were also of better quality and adjustability previously in a bc.

with the soaring popularity of braid, line capacity for spin reels is nowhere near the issue it used to be.

just look at the way pro fishos/charters use the gear. spin reels are basically a fantastic all rounder now and the most versatile. overheads are still the most preferred for game fishing and often used for bottom bashing. baitcasters are more subtle and compact so are most often used in rivers ie barra fishing, near structure for their accuracy and ease once mastered.

really it comes down to preference and style of fishing.

as my name shows, i love it all, want it all and will one day. heck, i even took up fly fishing for a different style and challenge.

that is my long winded two cents worth :)

Archived