rod and reel bait combo

Anhie

Chasing a quality rod and reel combo for bait fishing. Will be used for anything from whitting to flat head. I would like a spin combo if possible. Budget around $500.

Baits will be mainly pillies and blood worms and prawns etc.

Considering a shimano c 14 or a daiwa sol 2500 but am open to other options

How heavy did you want to fish?

I had a CI-4 and it saw a bit of bait use, but I would definatley suggest a baitrunner. Possibly one of Shimano's 'D' range? A 2500-3000 sized reel should be fine

Rod wise, I'd also say a 2-5Kg stick would suit, but I couldn't name a specific stick of the top of my head

Hey Anhie, when i suggested an 'all-rounder' setup it was because you didn't single out a species you are chasing get me?

Like if you were chasing bream a 2-4lb rod w/ a 1000size reel would be perfect.

For anything from whiting to flathed there is a big difference, whiting needing a light whippy rod with a soft tip to feel bites and flathead needing something with a little more grunt to get those 60+ fish up

Dunno if i'm being clear lol..

Any reason why your chasing a bait runner setup? I thought that they were more suited to big fish and using live-baits? Don't kwow how effective they would/will be against smaller species?

scrap what i said about the rod, why not get a tcurve, however with your left over 400 you can get a nice reel stradic CI-4 2500 which is $300, loaded with 6lb fins braid and a selection of leaders (mono or flurocarbon thats a whole nother topic lol)

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: however this is quite a expensive bait setup

shimano baitrunner d starts at 4500 size which is very large for your targeted species

my setup was a 2500 sienna with an aqua tip style rod. hundred bucks can set you up. go a standard stradic in 2500 or 3000 (you get the extra spool and the weight isn't too noticeable). then a soft tipped rod to let the fish eat the bait with out feeling the resistance from a stiff tipped rod.

check your local tackle store for better ideas.

for that price you could get a very nice 2-4kg or 3-5kg bait caster rod and a nice reel to go with it,I always say go in to the shop and feel them out, don't get pushed into a sale, then go to the next shop and feel out a few.

There is a lot of satisfaction choosing your own setup.

For flathead and whiting a 2-4kg would be more than enough.

cheers

Archived